Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directivity plots for acoustic results

I want to generate a 'directivity' (polar) plot for illustrating the output of the microphone array around the speaker (fig 1 of attached). I can create a graph, on path, and use the angle in the horizontal axis (fig 2) but this is not a polar plot. I can send the data to XL and do a 'radar' plot (fig 3) which is close. But there must be a way of doing that in either postprocessing or XY function navigators, which I have not found yet, since I thought I saw a directivity plot in one of the presentations for Simcenter 12 acoustics. Using version 12. Thanks.

Bulent

3 REPLIES

Re: Directivity plots for acoustic results

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

In fem, Go to tab "Nodes and Elements", select "Circle" (under group Elements -> More).  The circle allows you to plot the sound directivity (polar plots) in the post-processing.

Untitled.png

Thanks for the information Kin. It certainly helped.

It turns out, in addition to the circle concept, an array of discrete microphones also yields similar results.

The way I was able to eventually generate what I wanted, listed below, seems to involve a few steps so I will be interested to see if there ia a more efficient workflow (probably a good candidate for some tutorial video in the online documentation).

1) Plot the pressure in dB for the microphone elements (either circle or the discrete array of point elems)

2) Create a graph, along path, and use a cyclindrical coordinate system and as the axis, choose the circumferential (theta) direction.

3) Once you have the plot, go to the 'XY graph' options in the top menu and change the 'complex options' to directivity

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

I would do the followings:

(1) Load the results

Untitledvv.png

(2) Select Directivity Analysis

Untitled.pngUntitled1v.png