Highlighted

How to export a mesh from NX to StarCCM

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Hi,

i have a simulation process which includes NX(CAD)->StarCCM->NX (meshing CAE)->ANSYS.

My Problem is i have the same geometry twice in different Fidelity levels. (Turbine component with all film holes and without).

The high fidelity geometry i import in StarCCM and solve a CHT with ~40.000.000 elements. Then i want to import the temperatures and pressures as a field into NX CAE.

We can import the low fidelity geometry in Star. Mesh it with only 300.000 elements. Then we map the results onto it and export it.

But how can i get the orginal NX CAE(setup as ANSYS) mesh into STAR CCM.

Import options in STAR = ANSYS cdb file

Export option NX CAE= ANSYS inp file

And is there a way to export a FLD file directly not only as csv.

Regards,

Behnam Nouri

7 REPLIES 7

Re: How to export a mesh from NX to StarCCM

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi

The ANSYS CDB and INP formats are pretty much interchangeable.  Although Simcenter 3D only supports INP, it is usually possible to import CDB using File > Import Simulation.

Regards

Joe

Siemens Creator

Hi Joe,   I can import it. But i cant export cdb.

The import mesh must be done in StarCCM not in NX simcenter.

Siemens Genius

I was't clear - my Simcenter 3D import scenario was just an example of how the format is interchangeable.

I am not a Star-CCM+ expert, but it is worth checking to see if  you can just change the INP file extension to CDB and import to Star-CCM+.  If the INP/CDB only contains mesh data, I suspect you have a good chance.

Regards

Joe

Siemens Creator

Hi,

yes i just want the mesh. 

You can convert inside ANSYS inp to CDB. But i dont want ansys classic call between NX and STARCCM.

Actually it would be nice from the Siemens tool StarCCM that it can import native Siemens NX fem files.

Siemens Genius

Just manually change the file extension from INP to CDB.  You shouldn't need to convert the file.  INP and CDB are both essentially text input deck formats.

Regards

Joe

Siemens Creator

Thanks,

i can confirm that works.

NX FEM -> ANSYS.INP -> Ansys.inp rename to Ansys.cdb->Import CAE model-> Map to CAE model -> Export to CSV-> Convert CSV to FLD (custom Python) ->Import FLD to NX FEM.

Where can i request that StarCCM should be able to import native NX fem files and export FLD to NX.

Siemens Genius

Glad to hear that it was successful!

You should submit the Star-CCM+ enhancement requests to whomever provides your Star-CCM+ support.

Regards

Joe