Impact forces SOL 601

Creator
Creator

Dear community

I am simulating an impact drop test on a laminate composite material. I am expecting to see non-linear results and therefore used SOL 601 129 Advanced Nonlinear Transient.

I use a reference paper as guidance, they stated that 19.3J impact energy resulted in approx 8000N of impact force. With this impact energy I calculated the initial velocity of 2780 mm/s (used 2700 in this model). The impactor is modelled 1mm before impact.

The results I am getting do not come anywhere near these values stated in the reference paper. Contact Force.PNG

Directly under the impactor contact forces do not exceed 65N. Regarding the paramets, I have added some compliance (CFACTOR1 of 1e-005) to obtain convergence. Also the failure index of the plies does not exceed value of 1 (which should be the case for some plies).

Is there something fundamentally wrong with my impact set-up or how could I improve the contact results? I have attached my files in this message, let me know if anything else is needed.

Best regards, Elon

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Impact forces SOL 601

Creator
Creator

If I add more compliance (1e-04) the contact forces get even smaller, max value is around 7.63N. So a possible solution to improve my results would be to remove this compliance, but then my solution cannot converge. Product Documentation stated that a CFACTOR1 of 1e-05 is an appropriate value to start with.

Re: Impact forces SOL 601

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am unfortunately not able to help you out, but I am in the near future going to run some simulations with variable g-force field on a composite using that particular solver. 

Does SOL 601, 129 work well with composites?