Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is it Possible to Interrogate Simulation Results?

Hello all,

I have a single simulation file with several solutions and their results. I created each of these solutions one by one while making small changes to the simulation geometry. Now, I can see all of the results, but because I did not document perfectly the changes and the dimensions of the geometry, I would like to go back into each of the simualtion results files and measure the undeformed geometry. 

Is this possible? Is seems if the software can generate a "model" of the undeformed geometry, I should be able to interact with it, or to extract the geometry to interact with it in another file.

2018-10-11 09_37_39-NX 11 - Design Simulation - [(Simulation) Odd-FINGER-ASSY3500-K3flex-short-clamp.png

Hopefully this makes sense...

Thanks for your help,

Alex

4 REPLIES

Re: Is it Possible to Interrogate Simulation Results?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi Alex

Each one of those solutions should have created a separate NX Nastran OP2 file.  You can use File > Import Simulation to import each OP2 to a new FEM/SIM and interrogate the model in Preprocessing.  You will end up with a separate FEM/SIM for each solution but it should work ok.

Regards

Joe

Awesome! Thank you Joe.

Hi. Me again. Is it true only the meshes, materials, and simulation entities are preserved in the OP2 file? When importing the simulation, the polygon geometry was not imported. My goal is to measure the underlying polygon geometry. I don't know a way to measure mesh faces/edges etc.

I ended up exporting the FEM to a JT file and measuring it that way, but it was not fun.

All the best,

Alex

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Yes, that's correct. The OP2 file only contains solver data.  Polygon geometry only exists in the FEM and SIM.

You can use the measure commands in the FEM/SIM on nodes and elements, but you are right that it is tricky to get the area of a face for example.  One option would be to use Face from Mesh to create a new face where needed.  That might be easier than exporting the whole model as JT.

Regards

Joe