MPI402 Nastran parameter, where to find example of application of this parameter?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

There is a the "mpi402" parameter specific to SOL 402.

Can't we find applied examples of the use of this parameter? I did only find the following references in NX documentation; aren't there some hands-on exemple somewhere?

• in the Release Guide (Simcenter Nastran 2019.1), chapter 8 Multi-step non linear kinematics solution 402:

• The Nastran MPI402 keyword specifies the maximum number of CPU selected for
distributed-memory parallel (DMP) processing. The NASTRAN command PARALLEL sets the
number of MKL threads for shared-memory parallel (SMP) processing.

• In the Multi-Step Nonlinear User's Guide, user interface, there is this reference:

Parallel support for SOL 402
SOL 402 supports distributed-memory parallel processing (DMP) and shared-memory parallel
processing (SMP).
• You can request shared-memory parallel processing using the PARALLEL or SMP) nastran
keyword. This keyword sets the number of MKL threads.
• You can request distributed-memory parallel processing using the MPI402 nastran keyword .
This keyword sets the number of CPUs to use.

• In the Quick User's Guide, there is the following reference for nastran Command and NASTRAN Statement

mpi402 mpi402=value Default=0
For SOL 402 only.
Specifies the number of CPUs selected for distributed-memory parallel (DMP)
processing. The default is 0, which specifies no DMP processing.

and in Executive Control Statements, this:

3. Distributed-memory parallel processing can be requested by the MPI402 nastran keyword. Shared-memory parallel processing can be request by the parallel (or smp) nastran keyword.
• The MPI402 keyword specifies the number of CPUs selected for distributed-memory parallel processing.
The .f06 file will include a message similar to the following indicating the number of processors used by the solution:
NUMBER OF PROCESSORS USED.....(NPROC) = n
• The parallel keyword specifies the number of MKL threads.

Cyril
2 REPLIES 2

Re: MPI402 Nastran parameter, where to find example of application of this parameter?

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi,

MPI402 is a keyword. It  will trigger number of parallel processors for SOL 402 run and you can define while firing a run in optional keyword dialog.

image_forum.PNG

Re: MPI402 Nastran parameter, where to find example of application of this parameter?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you @6pt9sr.

I intend to insert this mpi402 parameter in the nastran.rcf file.

But I would like to know in which case it is useful, and how to balance it's use with the parallel keyword.

Therefore I am looking for exemples of its use: Is it helpful/efficient for a material non linear calculation? For a bolt preload case? For contact, large displacements, strains, etc...?

best regards,

Cyril