Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh a thin ring part

Builder
Builder

Hi,

I have a thin ring part as show below. The thickness is only 0.4 mm and the height is 269 mm. When i tried to mesh it with 3D tet, i got very poor result. In addition, after meshing, i found the number of face became 3 which should be 6. I attached the simple model for your reference. Could someone please look at it and give some suggestions and comments? Note for my study, i have to model it as solid body but not sheet body or use middle face.

Thanks,

Kan

2018-09-20 06_30_07-Simcenter 12 - Modeling.png

11 REPLIES

Re: Mesh a thin ring part

Phenom
Phenom

why do you want to tet mesh such geo! or need solid elements for that matter!

Production: NX.CAE 9.0.3.4, NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Builder
Builder

Hi selex_ct,

For my study physics, we need this kind of thin region being model as solid elements. A typical case is the air gap in electrical motor, which is a critical region for electromagnetic field.

Kan

Phenom
Phenom

given the simple geo, brick can be used. Mesh the face normal to the cylinder axis and extrude. Don't know the element quality criteria for the type of analysis you mentioned

Production: NX.CAE 9.0.3.4, NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Builder
Builder

Hi selex_ct,

As i know, the criteria for EM analysis is much higher than other physics.

I found a workaround for this case by decreaing Small Feature Tolerance (% of Element Size). 

thanks.

kan

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The number of faces is reduced because the feature tolerance is simplifying the geometry. Set the Small Feature Tolerance to 0%.

The element size will need to be on the order of the thickness. For this geometry, a swept hex mesh would be more appropriate than a tet mesh.

Builder
Builder

Hi JimB,

Thanks, that is what i did for my case. 

Concerning the mesh type, for my study, only tet mesh is applicable, so i cannot use swept hex mesh.

Kan

Builder
Builder

Hi JimB,

It is possible to get swept tet mesh with bias shown in below image in Simcenter. Thanks.

2018-09-20 09_48_52-MagNet - MagNet 2 - [View 1].png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes. Generate a 2D seed mesh of triangles. Specify a Biasing on Edge mesh control with origin set to center. Then mesh the volume.

Mesh Control dialog box–Biasing on Edge density type options

2018-09-20_10-52-33.png

Builder
Builder

Hi JimB,

I tried your suggestion but it did not work. After applying the 2D mapped mesh as seed and Bias mesh control, i used 3D tet to mesh the volumn. What i got is shwon below. Is there anything i was doing wrong?

2018-09-20 11_03_13-Simcenter 12 - Pre_Post.png

Thanks,

kan