Pyramid transition from hex mesh to hybrid mesh.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello.

I have a problem about using hex mesh and hybrid mesh. Simply, I have two parts which are contacts and intertwined. I meshed inner part with hex mesh and outer part with hybrid mesh. But inner hex elements don't transite with pyramids to tet elements. If I mesh outer part with tet mesh pyramid transition option shows up in mesh dialog. But I can't see this option in hybrid mesh dialog. (I have to use hybrid mesh to limit element number) I made mesh matings.

Could anybody help? I'll be grateful. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pyramid transition from hex mesh to hybrid mesh.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

1. In my opinion "hybrid mesh" creates a mesh for a SINGLE polygon body not for more than one. The outer layers are tetrahedrons and the inner core is meshed with HEXAedrons. Transistion is made by pyramids. The boundary between meshes is internal and only controlable in a reduced manner I  guess.

2. Classic method: Two polygon bodies connected with mesh mating conncections (Glue-Coincident) will produce the pyramids in the tet mesh not in the hex mesh.

The hex mesh has to be meshed at first and AFTER that you will get the check box

[ ] transition with pyramid elements to activate pyramids.

Best wishes, Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX12 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany | 2019-07-08
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution". Kick Off (2015-09-14)On the Map (2016-10-21)1st Gear 2018 (2018-02-19)5th Birthday! (2018-02-25)Popular (100, ‎2018-10-30)Prolific (100, 2019-02-27)Philosopher (500, ‎2019-02-28)Problem Solver (50, 2019-06-25)

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thank you Michael.

But as I said, I have to use Hybrid mesh. So I can't use classic method that you've mentioned your post.

You also explained hybrid mesh well. But i need to make transition between a single part that meshed with hybrid mesh and another one that meshed with hex mesh. I mean, I need pyramid transition between outer tet elements of hybrid mesh and hex elements of the other part.

Phenom
Phenom

Efe,

all right, that I did missunderstand before, sorry. Therefore, a picture is better than 1'000 words.

If the (glue coincident) faces of the mesh mating connection have different elements maybe try this:
Before meshing the solids with hybrid mesh and hexaedron -mesh, make a tria-surface-mesh at the connecting face.
But I think that can't work, because the transition mesh is always a tetraedron-mesh not a hexaedron.

I guess you have to create a third solid between the hydrid solid and the hexa-solid. That solid (connected to both by means of glue coincident mmc) has to be meshed at last with tetraedrons (and transition option on) and will produce transition pyramids as connection to hexa-mesh and tetrahedrons as connection to hybrid mesh. Find it out....

Best wishes, Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX12 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany | 2019-07-08
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution". Kick Off (2015-09-14)On the Map (2016-10-21)1st Gear 2018 (2018-02-19)5th Birthday! (2018-02-25)Popular (100, ‎2018-10-30)Prolific (100, 2019-02-27)Philosopher (500, ‎2019-02-28)Problem Solver (50, 2019-06-25)

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hello again.

I overcome this problem by creating a third solid (like you mentioned in your post). I was just looking for another way. So maybe I wouldn't have to split bodies.

Thank you for your help.