Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Retaining mesh container names in postprocessing navigator

Is there a quick way to retain the mesh container names in the postprocessing navigator ? You typically take time to give meaningful names (i.e see left portion of attached image) to your mesh containers when FEA model is generated. But in postprocessing navigator, all the naming convention assigned is gone and you are left with 2d_mesh(1), 2d_mesh(2),,etc (i.e see right portion of attached image). In complex models, you frequently need to turn portions of model on or off in postprocessing to view only results for certain regions. But this becomes difficult because you do not know what is what as the names are gone. You have to track from Mat ID and property IDs to decipher. You can overcome this problem by creating groups and use them in postprocessing navigator. But, if the original mesh container names were kept, would not have to do this additional step.

Thanks

Bulent

8 REPLIES

Re: Retaining mesh container names in postprocessing navigator

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Hi Bulent,

You can download this small NX Open application

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Downloadables/Simcenter-3D-API-Set-Mesh-Names/ta-p/4...

This will rename all meshes in the collector an set the mesh name to the collector name. Then you can easily select them in postprocessing.

Regards
Boris

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

this is a very good script and I've been using it for many years. The only "problem" is that it works only with FEMs not with AFMs. There are cases mostly with 1D connections were a lot of meshes are defined in AFM. Often I rename theses meshes then manually in the same way to get a consistent state of mesh names in post processor. It really helps. Best wishes, Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX11 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".

Kick Off (2015-09-14)On the Map (2016-10-21)1st Gear 2018 (2018-02-19)To the Rescue (25, ‎2018-02-24)5th Birthday! (2018-02-25)Popular (100, ‎2018-10-30)Prolific (100, 2019-02-27)Philosopher (500, ‎2019-02-28)

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Hi Michael,

Looping throgh the fems in an afrm is not an issue, I can enhance that script wasily. I will upload and inform you when its available.

Boris

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @BorisL,

thank you for answering. I'm sure that it's difficult to go through all FEMs and sub AFMs in a AFM.

But, that was not my intention. I use the script manually for each of my FEMs at the time, when I finished meshing of the FEM finally, and that's ok for me. Starting with hot key it's easy and shortly.

I would ask to rename the meshes created directly in AFM by using he script, too. I don't want to do it for all sub FEMs or sub AFMs automatically. Manually (even by hot key) for the active AFM only, that would be great!!!

I'm aware that object structure in an AFM is another one than in a FEM but after identifying the meshes it should be the same, I guess with my unskilled view on it Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Best wishes, Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX11 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".

Kick Off (2015-09-14)On the Map (2016-10-21)1st Gear 2018 (2018-02-19)To the Rescue (25, ‎2018-02-24)5th Birthday! (2018-02-25)Popular (100, ‎2018-10-30)Prolific (100, 2019-02-27)Philosopher (500, ‎2019-02-28)

Phenom
Phenom

the updated code needs (in my opinion) to deal by default with only the active part a FEM or AFEM

If TypeOf TheBasePart Is CAE.BaseFemPart Then
	theFEMPart = CType(theBasePart, CAE.FemPart)
	renamemesh(theFEMPart)
Else
	theAFEMPart = CType(theBasePart, CAE.AssyFemPart)
	renamemesh(theAFEMPart)
End if	

From that basis anyone wanting more can tweak the called function. I know that I always deal with 1 fem (or afm) at the time so I have no need for  "option" to rename the meshes in all the fems making up the afem. I only rename the meshes in my (active) afm. I feel this give me full "control".

I can see however how somebody might be interested in such option. something like that

If TypeOf TheBasePart Is CAE.BaseFemPart Then
	theFEMPart = CType(theBasePart, CAE.FemPart)
	renamemesh(theFEMPart)
Else
	theAFEMPart = CType(theBasePart, CAE.AssyFemPart)
	'loop through all fems attached
		For each theAttachedFEMPart In theAFEMPart
			renamemesh(theAttachedFEMPart)
		Next	
End if
Production: NX.CAE 9.0.3.4, NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Phenom
Phenom

@selex_ct,

bear in mind that an AFM can connect not only FEMs but also sub AFMs and FEMs. And the script has to deal with all types of files in "Advanced Simulation" (Prt, iPrt, FEM, AFM and SIM) to decide which is the right Type to start. I believe that the complete algorithm for SIM => AFM => (AFM, FEM) has to be a recursive one.

Therefore, I'm with you - using the script manually for a specific FEM and perhaps in the near future for a specific AFM is a good way to do. Best wishes, Michael

Phenom
Phenom

Yes indeed. Hence me dealing solely with the meshes in the active part (a fem or a afem) in my script. Nothing else

Production: NX.CAE 9.0.3.4, NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Thanks Boris. This is very helpful.

Bulent