Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOL 103 with contact

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi Experts,

I try to build a model containing contact and then calculate the the natural frquencies of this model in NX 8.5.2.

But simply activate a simulation object for the desired contact does not work.

My parts does not interact.

I try to analyze a model with two solid cylinders put into each other and connected via contact with penetration offset. But both cylinders have uncoupled eigenmodes.

What is the correct method to do such a simulation?

I could not find answers for this in NX help material.

Any suggestion will help.

With best regard,

Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX11 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".

To the Rescue Great Thinker Well Liked Front Line

3 REPLIES

Betreff: SOL 103 with contact

Gears Phenom

I found the solution:

- I have to build a pre loadcase in solution set 103 of step type "Subcase - Statics" first and

- after that I can build the step "Subcase - Eigenvalue Method".

In this case also the keyword STATSUB can be found in NX-Dat-File as described in all Help manuals.

SUBCASE 1
LABEL = Subcase - Statics 1

SUBCASE 2
LABEL = Subcase - Eigenvalue Method 1
STATSUB = 1
METHOD = 102

Keep this in mind...

Thanks anyway.

Michael

| Production: NX10; Development: VB, TCL/TK, FORTRAN; Testing: NX11 | engelke engineering art GmbH, Germany
| Kudos for good posts! And if my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, I had the same problem.

I add some note from what I found:

1. Does work the contact with frinction? Yes of course!
  2. Can I add a bolt preload in my SOL103 model? Yes, put it in the static subcase (you can put also in the dynamic subcase, but same results are obtained). See this post for more details.
  3. Can I extract an FRF using SOL103 Response Simulation with a contact (and/or bolt preload)? Yes, just put the bolt preload on the "stress stiffening subcase".

Regards,

A

Highlighted

Gears Phenom

Hello Alberto,

one last additional addition from my point of view Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy :

- A contact definition from a pre-load case with static loads in  an eigenfrequency analysis only yields in a specific characteristic which only has a coupling connection (normal and, if friction is considered, also tangential) at the local spots where contact is established due tue these static loads.

- The eigen modes itself don't consider the contact definition in their specific oszillation form.

- If someone defines contact without static pre-load for establishing real contact behavior (with non-zero pressure and traction) the sub structures can remain uncoupled for EFA. It depends on inital contact state.

- Every coupling situation yields in a distinguishable mode set due to different coupling stiffnesses.

Best wishes, Michael