I am using the lastest Simcenter 3D Vers.12 for performing some car body analysis with NX Nastran.
Hereby I am doing some postprocessing where I wanna only to process a subset of my
entire FE model.
Therefore I am using the GROUP functionality to generate logical subsets to allow me
a effecient post processing. Unfortunally I got some trouble with my GROUPS and got the feeling
I am doing something worng.
I create a GROUP containing just one element, e.g., one CQUAD element. When I now click on the GROUP and
select SHOW ONLY DISPLAYABLE, it shows not only the one element instead the group is extend to the full component of the element, e.g., PSHELL999. But when I check the group by using information (right click on Group->information) it consists of only one element as wanted.
1) Is this by default/intention or I am doing something wrong? Why is the group set extended to the full component meshes?
2) Why is next the group set often mentioned as status "Some displayable entities in Group"?
Thx in advance
In answer to your questions:
1. This is not the intended behaviour - "Show Only" and "Show Only Displayable" should display only the entities in the Group. However, the fact that you mention the second option suggests that there is more than just a single element in your Group. That option only appears when there are Element Faces, Element Edges, Polygon Edges and/or Nodes in the Group (these entities are not independently displayable).
2. The status "Some Displayable Entities in Group" appears when the Group displays a mix of displayable and undisplayable entities, for example Elements and Nodes. Again, the fact that you see this suggests you have more than just the single element in your Group.
However, you already said that you checked the Group Information and it lists only a single element. I would suggest you check this again to confirm, and then contact the support team to look at the model.
Thanks for the feedback. So it looks like something isn't working as expected.
Refer my "1-element" group I created this one by "Label & Element ID" and can confirm
that it contains only this one element. Of course the element has also node but the group
references only to the element ID.
By the way that observation is independent from my current model. I got the problem
with different models.
I will contact support as you suggested.
When you work with selection, you need to be careful what the selection filter is set to allow and what you are actually selecting. This information is available in the status line at the bottom of the Simcenter window.
By default, the selection filter is set to allow selection of all entity types and mesh objects have selection priority over elements. Your group contains 1 object as reported, but it is probably the mesh that the element belongs to, not the element itself.
Try re-creating your group, but before you select any entity, set the selection filter to "Element". This will only allow elements to be selected and the resulting group should only contain the single element.
Thx but It isn't any problem of the SELECTION FILTER. I am aware of it.
Simple scenario without Selection filter:
1) Create Group by Element/LabelID, e.g., Element 999
=> New group is created and it contains just Element 999 - Can be checked with Group/Information - 1 Element entity
2) Select Group and show dispalable
=> Not only the element 999 is shown also the Component/Mesh it belongs to, e.g., PSHELL 101
When post processing stress results from FE analysis by using the function "IDENTIFY RESULTS" and refering to
GROUP, it works and only the Element 999 result is listed.