Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Solid to shell transition (RSSCON)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I read in the NX Nastran documentation that RSSCON should be used to tackle the situation described in the title of this thread and I also understood it is a type of connection element, or a type of connection, that can be used in NX Nastran. I may be mistaken, though.

My problem lies in how to use RSSCON from the NX interface: I am running a large simulation with many plates placed in vertical supports, along with a frame with a difficult geometry and thus I need to have a fairly refined mesh throughout.

I figured that the plates could be modelled using 2D elements, with the contact zone between the plates themselves and their supports being in 3D (it is a zone of interest, thus the approach I described). I am running NX 12.0.2, if that's any help. Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Solid to shell transition (RSSCON)

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Hi

RSSCON is not supported in NX / Simcenter 3D.

Have you considered using Edge-Surface Gluing instead?

Regards

Joe

Experimenter
Experimenter

Well, it's true the Command Finder didn't find anything... I tried gluing the edge to the surface but results didn't seem satisfactory, though I only experimented with a quick and dirty test. I might go back and do a proper benchmark to see if it works well on my case.

Is there any reason why RSSCON is not supported in NX? Is Edge-to-Surface gluing the "equivalent" (in more practical terms) to RSSCON? I'm a bit out of the loop of that feature of Nastran and only recently found out about it (once again, the RSSCON element, not the gluing).

Thanks for the quick reply, though.

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

As far as I know, there is no technical reason for RSSCON support not being available.  We do not support 100% of any solver's functionality in SC 3D since it is a big task (and never ending, since solver functionality is constantly increasing).  However, we aim to support the vast majority of customer use cases.  I assume that there have not been sufficient customer requests for RSSCON over time to warrant the development effort.  This is the first request I've seen anyway!

Edge to Surface Glue should provide the functionality you need, but it's certainly wise to test if for your application thoroughly, as you mention.

Regards

Joe

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

RSSCON is legacy functionality inherited in 2001 and has not been updated. It uses MPC's to couple shell grids to solid. Some limitations of this method are:

• No support for large displacements
  • Poor stress distribution across the joint
  • Has not been updated for new element types (i.e. CPYRAM)
  • Issues with thermal strain

Edge to face glue uses a stiffness based approach, is more general, easier to use/define and does not have any of the above limitations.

Experimenter
Experimenter

@JimB wrote:

RSSCON is legacy functionality inherited in 2001 and has not been updated. It uses MPC's to couple shell grids to solid. Some limitations of this method are:

• No support for large displacements
  • Poor stress distribution across the joint
  • Has not been updated for new element types (i.e. CPYRAM)
  • Issues with thermal strain

Edge to face glue uses a stiffness based approach, is more general, easier to use/define and does not have any of the above limitations.

Ok, that makes sense. I'll test the edge-to-surface glue and then decide on whether to use it or not though it seems to be the best option available now. Thanks for the reply and clarification.