Highlighted

Topology optimization "casting plane" maufacturing constraint meaning

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello. I’m trying to figure out the physical meaning of “casting plane” in the manufacturing constraint of topology optimization SOL200 for a part.

Changing the direction of the vector normal to the casting plane also change the results, but I’m not understanding what the software are doing with this input.

What is the casting plane and vector normal direction? Is something like the plane where the liquid metal enters and its direction?

cp1.PNG

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Topology optimization "casting plane" maufacturing constraint meaning

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

casting_plane1.jpg

The Casting Plane can be thought of as the mold separating plane for removing  the cast part from the mold.  The diagram helps to explain the directions. The mold is removed from the part in the Casting Direction or Die Removal Direction. The Vector Normal Direction is used to define the casting plane. I believe that if the model is idential on either side of the casting plane, reversing the direction should not affect the results. However, if the model is not identically symmetrical on each side of the plane, the optimization algorithms can result in some differences if the direction is flipped.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks, the diagram really makes it clear.

Is it possible to create different manufacturing constraints in different design areas of the same part?

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

No, that's not possible. The Manufacturing Constraints apply to the entire design area.

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

No, but this is somehting I'd like to do in the future.

Regards,

Guy

Simcenter 3D, Topology Optimization Product Manager

Simulation & Test Solutions (STS)

Guy Wills