Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using GPU in Simcenter

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi All,

I see that Simcenter uses the CPU for handling graphics.  I wonder if it is possible to use the GPU instead and if there are any pros/cons?

If it is possible, how is set up?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES

Re: Using GPU in Simcenter

Creator
Creator
I also want to know the method.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Perhaps someone might know if it is possible or not ?

Creator
Creator

It is possible. 

There is a keyword gpgpu='value'  which adds GPU processing. 

I don't know where to give this value. GPU is used with DMP processing. 

Pioneer
Pioneer

Actually the keyword gpgpu='value' is used for selecting the GPU for NASTRAN solutions, where certain calculations (say large numbers of normal modes) can be calculated faster using the GPU than using the CPU.

My query on this link relates to whether the GPU can be exploited for graphics manipulation within Simcenter (currently the CPU is used).

Legend
Legend

I'm not sure I follow what you mean... The GPU is used, unless software OpenGL is specified by environment variable...

Here's an example of NX12 showing the NVIDIA GPU Utilization Graph

(view in My Videos)

Pioneer
Pioneer

You're quite right Tentechllc and I get the same.  Thanks for taking the time to post a video on it.  Perhaps then, my question is invalid.  However, I see that if you also open up a CPU usage monitor at the same time as the GPU usage monitor that you have shown, then you will also see that the CPU is also being heavily used.  Actually, that was the reason for posting this question in the first place.  

Despite the apparent conclusion that both the CPU and GPU are used when dynamically roataing, I think you have answered my question. Thank youTentechllc.

Legend
Legend

Actually no, my CPU is not used, honestly... I started with the standard Windows resource monitor, but it was taking too much space, so I switched to the nvidia one...

It might simply be that your CPU is taking over when the GPU can't take it...  My GPU is a Quadro GP100, 16GB RAM monster, and this simple model is using 36% of it already...

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have an Nvidia Quadro P5000, which is not as powerful as your GP100, but certainly no slouch.  The GPU usage shows around 40% whilst moving an FE model around the screen, but whilst I’m seeing this, I’m also seeing one of my CPUs hitting 100%.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Not sure why the solution was accepted for this thread and by whom.  

I don't think that the answer has yet been established, so I welcome input from others as to why the CPU clicks in when performing GPU type activities, well before the GPU has reached its limit.