Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

defining cracks in NX

Builder
Builder

Hello,

Could anyone please help me to model a crack in NX12. I mean a crack with the two faces initially in contact (without using the symmetry). See the attached image for a better understanding. 

Many thanks

Ionut

3 REPLIES

Re: defining cracks in NX

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

See the attached model. I created 2 faces at your crack plane via Split Body in the PRT. Then in the FEM I defined one mesh mating condition as glue coincident and the other as free coincident (for the crack). The files are from version 12.

Regards,

Mark

Builder
Builder

Many thanks Mark,

I will analyse what you sent me.

Ionut

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Ionut,

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday and terse with my description of the model. Here's what I did for the crack region.

1. Define 2 faces that pass completely through the solid body at the crack plane. The first face defines the length of the crack, the second face simply extends the crack to the outer bounds of the solid body.

2. Use the sheet body in a Split Body operation while turning OFF the option to keep imprinted edges. I didn't want a mesh mating condition to be automatically created in the FEM.

3. Manually create mesh mating conditions for the 2 face pairs on the crack plane. First I created the glue coincident pair representing the connected region, then the free coincident pair for the crack.

4. Mesh both solid bodies

5. Verify that I have coincident nodes on the crack faces

Regards,

Mark