Highlighted

Contact - NXN 11 v 12

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

Going from NXN 11 to 12, the release note seem to indicate that all the changes to contact are related to SOL401. However, when I try running my linear contact (SOL101) models in NXN11 and NXN12, I get significantly different answers. Often, a model will run in one but not the other. The attached model (for some reason, I needed to change this to a .txt file extension) is two plates bolted together with contact and preload. One end of a plate is restrained, and the other end of the other plate has a vertical load applied. The model runs in NXN12 (and Simcenter 2019.1), but gives a fatal error in NXN11. In this version, I used PENTYPE 2 to explicitly define the tangential and normal stiffnesses. When using PENTYPE 1, NXN12 computed a tangential penalty factor that was an order of magnitude lower than for NXN11.

Is there a default somewhere that was changed from NXN11 to 12? The discussion of the penalty factors and contact stiffnesses all look identical in the QRG. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Contact - NXN 11 v 12

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hello,

What is your Penalty factor in NXN 12 ?

Is it 1.0E-3 ?

I beleive NXN 12 is having threshold for this.

T&R

RB