Highlighted

Determination of shear stiffness factor (K1/K2) for 1D beam element cross-sections

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

In NX11 pre/post, I am using the "1D Element Section" mesh function to calculate the cross-sectional properties of an arbitrary shaped cross-section (i.e. random geometry) by selecting "Face of solid" as beam section type. 
According to the Element Library Reference (Link), the mesh-based "Pilkey-method" is used to determine the cross-sectional properties of non-standard sections. (At least, I assume that the method is automatically used, since no hard-coded analytical equations exists for the arbitrary cross-sections). 

My question is: 
What equations are solved by the mesh-based "Pilkey-method" to determine the shear stiffness factors (K1/K2)? Or what theory is this method using to determine these factors? 

Thank you in advance,

Luuk

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Determination of shear stiffness factor (K1/K2) for 1D beam element cross-sections

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Re: Determination of shear stiffness factor (K1/K2) for 1D beam element cross-sections

Experimenter
Experimenter

That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! 

Phenom
Phenom

surprised that there is no detail on the method in the manual - maybe I missed it

Production: NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Phenom
Phenom

and this one appears to be based mostly on Pilkey's method (if cannot get the original doc) - a bit of heavy reading....

Production: NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)