Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU computing for PLM

Creator
Creator

Hi, 

I am trying to implement GPU computing in the Acoustic analysis. 

I have seen some examples in the manual below (chap:9)

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/nxnastran/10/help/en_US/tdocExt/pdf/...

but I am unable to understand the exact procedure. 

They say keyword gpugp='value' is used but where in the GUI it needs to defines? 

Please guide me if you know about this feature. 

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Re: GPU computing for PLM

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In general, command line control is done on the Solver Parameters dialog (RMB on the active solution and pick 'Edit Solver Parameters')

Inputs for several command keywords have an explicit setting in the dialog. For example, keyin a value into the memory input on the dialog results in 'mem=value' being written to the command line.

There is an 'Additional Keywords' entry that can be used for specifying any additional command line options. The string that you type into this box will be directly appended to the command line used to launch the solver process.

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your Reply. 

It is not working, please see the attached file.

Do I need any settings to use GPU computing? 3.PNG

Phenom
Phenom
Shouldn't that be gpgpu=1?

Siemens Phenom

Good eye, Yes, there was a typo in the original post that I didn't catch when I cut & pasted it into the dialog to generate the screen capture.

Creator
Creator

Even this is not working. Do I need any settings apart from this keyword? 

I have tried many combinations but nothing is working. 

GPU.PNG

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

Per Chapter 9 in the NX Nastran Parallel Processing Guide, "Value" is one of the following:

• none
  • any
  • amd
  • nvidia

So, the simplest form to enable the GPU is to specify gpgpu=any in the additional keywords section of the Solver Parameters dialog

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the reply.  

I have used value 'any' and it is compiling now without any error but no change in computation time. 

I want to reduce the computation time of the simulation. 

Any suggestion?

Phenom
Phenom

GPU Computing benefits are more than marginal with NX Nastran...  What type of solution and model size?  And equally importantly, what kind of GPU are you trying to use?

In my opinion, a faster scratch file, more mem assign to the solve and/or a larger buffsize would probably more effective...

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Faria,
You can use the command
nastran.exe gpgpu=any input_file.dat
or you can replace any with
- gpgpu=amd to enable GPU for both FRRD1 and DCMP module computations with the first available AMD GPU.
- gpgpu=nvidia to Enable GPU for both FRRD1 and DCMP module computations with the first available NVIDIA GPU

Or write in additional keywords one of this commands
gpgpu=any
gpgpu=amd
gpgpu=nvidia