How to increase the number of iterations in SOL 401, NX12

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I am testing a two-beam (3D) configuration where one beam is pushed with a force to make contact with
the other beam, I got this fairly quickly running in SOL 601,106. But I can't get it running with SOL 401, so I want
to increase the number of iterations, I increased the number of MAXS and MAXITER but the iterations still won't
go beyond 20. Am I missing here the obvious?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Olaf

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How to increase the number of iterations in SOL 401, NX12

Phenom
Phenom

what sort of info do you get (in .f06 or other files) ? Nastran should stay why is stopping the analysis

Production: NX.CAE 10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Do you have bolt preload in your model ?

If yes, do please note that default ITRBOLT(Maximum number of bolt iterations)  value of NLCNTL card is 20.

If not, check your f06 and confirm which iteration has reached max.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In a nonlinear analysis, there are many reasons why an increment will stop, so it's difficult to speculate without seeing the full history. Can you post the .f06 file from the run?

Creator
Creator

Hello,

Here are some pictures to clarify.

I hope my f06 is attached. f06.docx

Regards,

Olaf

displacement_y.PNGWhere the solution stopscontact_parameters.PNGused contact settingsNLCP.PNGused Nonlinear settingsnonlinear_iteration_history.PNGMax iterations is 20, I want to have a larger number so that it can converge

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Looking at your f06 output, at time=0.35, there seems to be large penetrations in the contact pair. As a result, the solution is struggling to converge. It won't matter if you increase the number of iterations because there is divergence happening even before hitting 20 iterations and contact forces a bisection to occur. Even upon bisection, its still having difficulty due to the large penetrations. Can you set LGDISP to 1 (turn on large displacements) and also set KUPDATE to 1 (turn on stiffness updates)? This may help.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for response, I will try this, however at this moment I have limited acces to my NX.

Regards,

Olaf