Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to use CSEAM element in T shape weld joint

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi everyone, I am doing the research about how to model the seam weld that correctly reflects the structure’s dynamic characteristics. In NX Nastran's quick reference I found a CSEAM  element to define a seam line. But this element seems that it can only be built between to surfaces. Does anyone know how to use it to model the seam line in a Tee joint? And what is the advantage of this element than directly using rigid element RBE2?Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Thank you

2 REPLIES

Re: How to use CSEAM element in T shape weld joint

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello!,

The CSEAM element entry do not exist in the NX NASTRAN ELEMENT LIBRARY.

In NX NASTRAN we have the CWELD element that let you establish connections between points, elements, patches, or any of their combinations. Although there are a number of different ways to model structural connections and fasteners in NX Nastran, such as with CBUSH or CBAR elements or RBE2s, CWELDS are generally easy to generate, less error-prone, and always satisfy the condition of rigid body invariance.

cweld_FEmodel.pngcweld_format.pngcweld_tipos_conectividades.png

To model seam welds you can use either rigid RBE2 elements or shell elements. In the case of plate elements the weld is typically not modelled and the finite elements are arranged in the middle of the individual plates. Only if the weld has eccentric weld arrangements is the weld modelled.

seam_weld5.png

Best regards,
Blas.

Blas Molero Hidalgo, Ingeniero Industrial, Director
IBERISA • 48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: http://www.iberisa.com
Blog Femap-NX Nastran: http://iberisa.wordpress.com/

Re: How to use CSEAM element in T shape weld joint

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for your reply. I see that there are two ways of modelling a lap joint. What I want to know is do they provide similar results? How could I judge which one to use?