Problems running NX Nastran simulation in Linux using Parallel computing clusters

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I am trying to run NX Nastran problem at my University using Linux Parallel computing cluster facility.

I have created a slurm file for it, but when I run the NX Nastran input .dat file, it does not give me output op2 file.

The error and output files are both empty.

However the log file has this message at the end: "T85373_38: line 206: time: command not found"

Does any one has idea what this is or how can i run my simulation.

I have attached the dat file and log file for reference.

Regards,

Ashwani Thakur.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Problems running NX Nastran simulation in Linux using Parallel computing clusters

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I believe this is due to the use of the Linux time executable. We have found that more recent versions of Linux (or possibly depending on which modules are selected to be installed) moved the default version of time that NX Nastran relied on. It is used to log the runtime for your Nastran solution.

On our server (RHEL 7.6), when I type in the following:

which time

It provides the following output:

/usr/bin/time

However, I believe our system admin had to make some modifications to the installation so that the time exectable is in the default path.

Re: Problems running NX Nastran simulation in Linux using Parallel computing clusters

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am new to using NX Nastran on Linux.

So, can you suggest any possible solution as of now for the above problem. Any changes that I can make in my slurm file or Nastran input file that would run the simulation for me.

Regards,

Ashwani

Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Well, I think you need to get the time executable installed and running properly. You did not state whether executing the command:

which time

produces an error or not.

If it fails to find time in your path, then it needs to be added to your path or installed. Check to make sure your path contains the standard executable directories (I think time usually resides at /usr/bin/time). One way I have seen to install time (I am just referencing a web search) is to run the command:

apt-get install time

but you should research the proper proceedure for your setup.

However, there may be another issue at play. Some Linux shells have their own built in versions of the time command that overrides the GNU time command. I wouldn't think this is the root cause, but I cannot rule it out. You may need to change the shell you are using to execute Nastran.