Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SOL 200 Topology optimization

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

I am a new user of NX NASTRAN. I want to run topology optimization using SOL 200. In my first experiment with SOL 200 to understand the process, i have used basic design objective (compliance to be minimum) and basic design constraint (specifying range for total weight). The simulation ran successfully and i got the expected results. Now, in the same simulation set up i want to add advance design constraint by specifying the range of stress. However in this case, the simulation is kind of stopping at the first design cycle. If i check the CPU usage and processes i can see that the analysis.exe is running and is using CPU power. But the simulation is not going into the second design cycle. I am attaching here the screen shots of the stress card,.fo6 and monitor screen.  Can anybody please help me with this problem?

Thank you.  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SOL 200 Topology optimization

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Unfortunately, with NXN 12, you will have a significant performance problem with stress constraints if the number of elements is very large. There were also disk usage issues where your disk could be filled up trying to solve. These issues have been taken care of in the next release and the disk usage is almost trivial and the solution runs from 2 to 10 times faster. Unfortunately, there is no way around this for NXN12 when using stress constraints.

Can tou tell if your disk is filling up?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Steve,

Thank you this information. When i ran the simulation overnight, i read the message in the .fo6/monitor window that the disk doesn't have enough space. But when i checked the disk space, it had more than 350GB free space. The case i am experimenting with has approximately 300,000 nodes. Is this a big grid?

Could you please tell me where i can find tutorials for the SOL 200 Topology optimization?

Thank you again for the help. 

Siemens Genius

Siemens Genius

I think the 300,000 node model is large enough to cause the problem with Stress design constraints.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for the tutorial's link. So 300000 node model is big for NX 12. Is this model also big for next version of NX NASTRAN?

Siemens Genius

It's only big for this particular problem in NX12 (using stress design constraint in topology optimization.  The problem has been fixed in the following release and it now works fine.