Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAR-CCM+ Validation and Verification Suite

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

This is a spin-off of a thread on "how to start learning star -CCM+". There, I suggested the STAR-CCM+VerificationSuite as another arrow in your STAR-CCM+ quiver. Nonetheless, its main goal is to help you verify and validate the results provided by the program. This is quite important, and quite often overlooked. For this, I think this subject should deserve its own post and therefore I´ve copied some of the info to this location. 

First, let me give you some overview coming from the .pdf attached to the VerificationSuite:

The Verification Suite provides cases that come from the SIMCENTER STAR-CCM+ quality-assurance process. This extensive process includes an internal test system that is known as STAR-Test, which is used continuously for the development and release builds of the software. With this suite of cases, you have the opportunity to verify that the software you have received is able to reproduce the same results on the platform you are using.
Before using the suite, familiarize yourself with how key terms are defined.
The following are provided for each verification case:
• a description of the case and its settings
• the STAR-Test report from the SIMCENTER STAR-CCM+ internal test system
• the simulation file taken directly from the SIMCENTER STAR-CCM+ internal test system which includes post-processing objects.

Second, I show you where to access this information.

Before starting with STAR-CCM+, you or your sys. admin will need to download the program. So

she/he will face this window

Ver002.png

Some of them will also have a look at the folder "Related Files and Documentation" and will realize the utility for downloading File number 4 with the Tutorials. This has already been mentioned in previous posts and I do not insist on it. 

The method which was not mentioned before and which is a great way to learn both the program and the physics modelling, in general, is Point number 5: STAR-CCM+VerificationSuite. 

Basically, it includes hundreds of simulations and the corresponding theoretical or experimental results for their validation. These are indeed some of the simulations that need to be tested as OK for a new release to be valid. 

The validation includes citations to the papers and research used.

Third

I´ve included a sample .pdf for one of the many cases included in the validation. 

Finally, you can use those validation cases, for evaluating the influence of the many hundreds of numerical parameters, physical models and properties on a given case. Each validation case can be used as a gauge for every new parameter or property or model you want to try against. 

All this is just a few clicks away from your computer. You just need to access the download page and expand the "Related Files and Documentation" folder. 

Ver001.png

Uncompress file number 5 is about 2.8 GB 

•