Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips & Tricks for creating marketing pictures?

Legend
Legend

Hi there,

Not sure if the STAR-CCM+ AEs would be inclined to share their tips & tricks, but we're preparing some material with AMD for PLM World and would like to create marketing pictures from STAR-CCM+ post-processing...  Our model is an external aerodynamics model, so we already have a spherical map of the sky...  What I'd like to get is a "plasma field" effect like this (trailing translucent surfaces)

How to achieve this?  Is it a large number of streamlines (hope not, it's way too slow to generate) or are these isosurfaces?

5 REPLIES

Re: Tips & Tricks for creating marketing pictures?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

In STAR-CCM+ version 9.02 we released volume rendering post processing.

You can log into the support portal and see this video on how to use it:

Learn to use Volume Rendering in 3 minutes

or even see thsi example of How to create a volume rendering for the vorticity around a propeller

and here is the section in the Documentation.

This is an example from youtube:

Hope that helps.

Alistair

Legend
Legend

Excellent tips Alistair, thank you!  We went simple with texture mapping and logo, AMD was happy with it, here's a view of their booth at PLM World:

DfHXSz_XUAUT_-O.jpg large.jpg

Siemens Experimenter

Another tool that could be used for Marketing:  Scalar Warping.

In conjunction with Advanced Rendering allows creating martian textures. 

(view in My Videos)

The video shows also how the information flows in this system: The expected flow from left to right and the quite unexpected to me external flow from right to left. 

Siemens Experimenter

And just for completion: Contour plot with black and white colours and logarithmic scaling from the same system above. This illustrates how post-processing can be used to discover flow features and also to create nice marketing videos. 

(view in My Videos)

Highlighted

Siemens Experimenter

Another simulation trick for creating marketing pictures: Lagrangian calculation (sprays, droplets, particles, etc). When injected with the right timing, angles and velocities you could achieve what shown below. 

(view in My Videos)

Here also from another perspective and discontinuous injection.

(view in My Videos)