Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to export temperature and pressure Field from StarCCM and use it in Simcenter [HEEDS]

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

Hello,

i have a question about the west way to export a temperature field and pressure field from Star to NX.

We have a conjugate heat transfer solution with metal and air as regions in StarCCM.

Now we import a mesh from NX simcenter in Star and we map the temperature from the StarCCM mesh to the FEA mesh.

However, i only found only a way to export a csv file. So we need a lot of custom code inside our optimization.

Is there a more intelligent way to get temperatures from StarCCM to NX? A ways with less custom tools and journals?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: best way to export temperature and pressure Field from StarCCM and use it in Simcenter [HEEDS]

Siemens Creator

Hi @BehNouri 

I am not familiar with NX.  Do you happen to know what are the possible formats that NX can import from?

Re: best way to export temperature and pressure Field from StarCCM and use it in Simcenter [HEEDS]

Siemens Creator

I could gather the info below about the recommended way to export Temperature and Pressure from STAR-CCM+ and use it in NX.  (I am responsible for lost in translation errors since I am not familiar with NX.)

1. In NX create a new FEM file in the Nastran environment and use 3D Tetrahedral Mesh tool to create the mesh on desired geometry.
  2. Export Simulation as a Bulk Data File (.bdf)
  3. In STAR-CCM+ import .bdf file containing NX Nastran mesh and map temperature and/or pressure results (from your STAR-CCM+ run) to it. (Using Data mappers)
  4. Export .nas file containing mapped nodal temperatures and/or pressures.
  5. In NX use Append Merge feature to import .nas file containing the nodal field data. 
  6. In the active subcase, create new temperature load set and add the newly created temperature load to that set. If necessary, repeat the same procedure for pressure loads.