cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grouping objects so they are independent

Experimenter
Experimenter

In sketchup a group doesn't "stick" to other objects. So when you move it it won't affect anything else. Any way of doing this?

5 REPLIES

Re: Grouping objects so they are independent

Experimenter
Experimenter

Just to clarify. 2 rectangles as separate groups when placed together will "stick". Drag one away and it will distort the other.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi @Kurma,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Only the curve underneath your finger will "snap" to create connections with other curves on the page.  This gives you some control over when new connections are established....

snappingBehaviour.png

We are improving this in the next major update. You will be able to control whether snapping happens with this new buttonsnap_on_60.png.

Regards, Tom

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

And as far as "sticking" goes, you can use the "shake & break" feature to break the connection.

In your example of two grouped rectangles, start moving one rectangle and then shake it back and forth quickly while doing so to detach it from the other rectangle.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks. I really like the simplicity of this software. Another feature I'd like to see from sketchup is to type in the dimensions immediately after making the shape. I'm looking forward to the update.

Experimenter
Experimenter
The shake and break was a bit temperamental. But it's a good feature.

Download Catchbook:

Download Catchbook on iOS Download Catchbook on Android Download Catchbook on Windows 10 Image Map