Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New enhancement: @mentions

[ Edited ]

Dear Community Members - 

On Friday, August 9, we will be adding new functionality to the Community called: @mentions. 

With @Mentions, users can call out specific users in their posts and invite them to join the conversation. You might @mention a user when you know they can answer a question or provide valuable insight to a thread. Or, you might just want to make sure they see it when you want to say thank you or give public praise.

When users are mentioned in posts, they are sent emails to let them know. (If users are mentioned multiple times in a post, they are sent only one email.) Additionally, users mentioned in private forums that they cannot access will not receive notification emails.

Here’s how it works:

Let’s say you want to thank a user (Admirkind) for his great answer to a question you asked. Using the Rich Text editor, enter his user name, preceded by an ampersand (@). In this example, you enter “@admirkind”. As you type, a pop-up menu appears with matching names. You can either continue typing the name or select a name from the list.

mentions_user_list.png

Note: @Mentions also work in Quick Reply and mobile posts where the Rich Text editor is not used. Through these channels, however, you will not see the pop-up user name chooser and will need to enter the name manually.

When you select or finish entering the name, the mentioned user name is highlighted, as shown here:

mentions_richtext.png

You cannot edit the user name with the Rich Text editor after you’ve added it; the mention is treated as a single item. If you need to edit the mention, you must delete it and add a new one or edit the mention directly in the HTML editor.  In the HTML editor, the mention code looks like this:

<li-user login="@name" uid="number"></li-user>  

How to manager @Mention Notifications

Go to My Settings-> Subscription & Bookmarks-> Notifications

Here you will be able to check and uncheck the box that allows you to recieve emails when someone @mentions you in a post. 

We look forward to your feedback on this new functionality, post your comments

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
13 REPLIES

Re: New enhancement: @mentions

I'm wondering how this is working for some our users...Feedback would be appreciated. @swertel @mjohnson @Grundey @SeanCresswell How is the @mention feature working? used it yet? 

Thanks!

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

@SusanCinadr it seems to have worked to notify me...

I was unaware of the new functionality

Can we add any sort of intellisense to @mentions?

I reckon over time I'd know a handful of user names but not many.

I like the idea...

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

this didnt appear to work for me when I mentioned @SusanCinadr.

Does it work when I mention myself @mjohnson

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com

Yes @mjohnson , yes this worked....as I got the notification you mentioned me. I am still playing around with this feature myself as it is brand new to the platform technology. When I typed in "@" then your name, I wait for the box to pop up and then make sure I select your name. (note that box doesn't appear in mobile and email). I need to look at why yours is not hyperlinked...guess we will see if I hit post on this if your name is linked again or not. 

Intellisense is a great idea and I can forward this along to the folks that develop the platform. I suspect you will use it something like "this is how I did XYZ, but I know @[dan staples] can give more info". I did already ask if the feature could be enhanced to find full names as well as screen names. 

For got mention - keep an eye out in the right corner of the site - no matter what category you are on - that is where announcements will happen. they will include Community enhancements, downtown, etc and of course subject announcements for the category as well. 

Thanks!
Susan

hummm... @SusanCinadr  dont get the popup box...  Even if I wait... ?

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com

[ Edited ]

I haven't tried yet @SusanCinadr until I got an email notice with my mention in it.

As far as the pop-up box to select names, no-go for me either.  It neither popped up in quick reply nor full reply.

EDIT:

And since I didn't pick a name from the box that didn't appear, it seems like you don't get an underlined mention then either.

@SusanCinadr it seems to work with the email notifications, but don't get the popup name selector thingy as I type.

While I can see it's potential, trying to recall some of the community "User Names" will be totally hopeless, even if they do add a signature line to give a glue to who they are, it may not reflect the sign-in name for the @mention.

Should be good for our normal rowdy bunch though.  \m/

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

@SeanCresswell @mjohnson @swertel  - Looks like this was merely a configuration we had on the "off" switch. Can you please try it again and see if you now get the user popup and the name is now highlighted when you post?

Thanks!!!
Susan