Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New posts counter for Q&A stuck [for me, at least]

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sorry folks, but I give up on this site.  Being gone for a week and the messages piled up.  Other than a barely bold heading, I can't find what's new and I can't mark new stuff as read to allow me to pick up on current topics.  I'm now stuck with a lot of Q&A and blog posts that are "new" although I've clicked through them numerous times.  I'm going back to the bbsnotes.  I don't have time for this.

Please make an announcement on the bbsnotes when this site has gone through a major update.  I'll try it again.  In the meantime, I know that the Solid Edge group wants to migrate people to this site, but I can't in good conscious recommend it to anyone.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I also struggle sometimes to identify what is new.  Comment indicators on the BLOG posts are non-existent when looking at the page listing all posts, and the Q&A section is a bit obscure with the faint light gray text and it only shows a portion of the posts requiring you to select the "View All" which does have a nice indicator on the side...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Community Admin Community Admin
Community Admin

Hello Siemens PLM Community users! I believe we have a solution for notifications of new items. And this is such a wonderful solution even Mr. Wertel will start using this forum again. Just need some feedback on what would work best for the majority.

Two options for what you will see. :

1) New Discussions

2) New Posts

Keep in mind the difference will be what is displayed on the category page, such as the Solid Edge Page and not what you can ultimately see when you click View All after X amount of Posts or Discussions.

When you click View All - you will get:

• a display new items you have not read in the blog, forum and Q&A, identified by their icon: pencil for blog, talk bubble for forum, question mark for Q&A
  • toggle between Discussions and Post
  • toggle between Preview or Full Text
  • Ability to mark all as read or unread

Also - thoughts on how many Discussions or Posts you want to see before you have to hit View All is also appreciated. My first thought is 3 otherwise it will get very long and ugly looking. I suspect once you see it, you will always click view all and sort through that page based on the abilities above.

Once I get a few opinions here, we will implement and let you play around if this will be a solution for finding "what's new" or "What I haven't read" in the community.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Thanks!
Susan

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Community Admin
Forgot to mention - once you mark all items as "read", this section will disappear on the Category page until new items appear again. A nice little feature to keep it easy to manage what is truly new for you!
If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would have to see what you are describing... Not getting a good mental picture of it.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com
Highlighted

Community Admin

Hi Ken - 

Probably should have done this to start - DOAH! Here are images of what it looks like on our stage site (something you can't see) so please ignor the posts, they are all bogus. It's just a testing area for us.

What you would see when you login (Tecnomatix Category exmaple). It says "Unread Posts". I haven't confirmed but during my testing, it included new replies to threads I have previously read.

New Messages 1.jpg

When you Click the View All at the bottom of this section, this is what you will see:

New Messages 2.jpg

And when you choose Options - Mark all as Read, the category page goes back to original. Basically you only see this if there are new items from your last login:

New Messages 3.jpg

Let me know your thoughts if this would help to identify new items in the Community and make it more user friendly.

Thanks!
Susan

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Susan,

Took me a while to see this new behavior but it sure it nice!!

thank you!  this address most of my issues in finding new posts!!!

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Community Admin
Thanks for the feedback Matt! Hopefully this will also get Scott Wertel back to these boards as well. Smiley LOL

Susan
Try Solid Edge for free