cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Improve this Community Site! You have had over a YEAR...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It bewilders me how a multi-billion dollar company cannot quickly design (or re-design) and deploy a site such as this that works well above the average community site deployed by other, smaller, and less profitable companies.  THIS IS ALSO YOUR PRODUCT and it is a reflection of your quality.  It is not creating a very flattering reflection of Siemens PLM.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1
4 REPLIES

Re: Please Improve this Community Site! You have had over a YEAR...

Community Admin Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi Ken,

The simple answer is yes, we are working on a site redesign. While I was out on maternity leave, @MLombard and @dcstaples have been leading this effort. Dan met with the community platform vendor last week and I believe we are on track to have some sort of changes in time for #SEU14. I've tagged them in this reply so they can comment appropriately. 

I will say, it's not the size of our company that dictates how the work is done. You must remember that this is the Siemens PLM community and not just for one of the products. We have multiple stakeholders from all of the products that all want something different. In the end, I believe the team has come up with something that our users will like.

This is a complete work in progress and we appreciate all of the feedback (and help) you have provided, PLEASE keep it coming. I am still working on several suggetsions you have made early on. My biggest task at the moment is figuring out the crazy comment thing on the Q&A.

Thanks again for your note...we're working on it daily!
Susan

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

While I appreciate the task you have of catering to all the different groups, appreciate the fact that it's not just one community but several different communities... I'm not concerned with any other community but Solid Edge, and I feel that this "equality" unrealistically being applied to all the disparate groups trying to use this Community system is going to hurt each Community individually as they all have different types of users with different needs and it seems to be taking an immense amount of time to fix the default initial releas of this site..  Each Community group needs the freedom to design their community site as they see fit to meet their communities unique needs, otherwise it becomes again a "jack of all trades, master of none"...

Thanks,
Ken

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Ken,

I don't have any excuses for how long it is taking. It's taking too long. Agreed. Actual progress is being made though. I am working closely with Lithium and Matt and Susan to move this ball. It is slow. I am sorry.

I generally agree with your "one size doesn't fit all comment" in the abstract. But what has turned out to be true in this particular instance, is that with rare exceptions all the issues from all the users of the community are the same -- font too small, not wide enough, should be centered, hard to read, etc. So we've found actual violent agreement amongst the community managers. We have an agreed set of changes. We now need to get them done. Working on it.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OK Dan, I'll be patient and see what has been developed before I offer anymore of my opinion... Should only be about a month till it's revealed.

Thanks,
Ken