Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not have only one board for the exported vBulletin contents?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Being a forum admin myself, I would have created just one entry point for the migrated vBulletin board forums.

The migration suggests to now only post "NX Language" related questions to the NX design board, but NXOpen API is application specific, so I don't see any reason to post CAM related API questions to the CAD board.

In addition a dedicated NXOpen API board as availabe before would allow to have questions answered by anyone using NXOpen API, not only those doing mostly CAD or CAM customization.

Just my point of view, so any explanation and further guidance is very welcome.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
2 REPLIES

Re: Why not have only one board for the exported vBulletin contents?

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Stefan,

There were many ways that we could have migrated the data from the GTAC Customer forums. Your suggested way is one of the alternatives we considered.

After discussing with the team at Lithium and within Siemens PLM, we decided that the best alternative was to split the GTAC Customer Forums using the current scheme. Our goal was to try to put the posts within the product categories.

As you point out, there are some small problems with this (including NXOpen and CAM.) Going forward, posts on NXOpen API for CAM will go into the NX Manufacturing forum. And NXOpen API posts will go into the Design Forum.

While the location of the migrated data is not perfect in all cases, it is a good compromise for most posts.

Don’t forget that data in the GTAC Customer Forums are indexed and fully searchable (by customers current on maintenance).

Regards,

Jerry

- - - -
Jerry Sarfati
Siemens PLM Software

Re: Why not have only one board for the exported vBulletin contents?

Phenom
Phenom

Jerry,

As an NXOpen programmer that works with both CAD and CAM, that means I have to monitor 2 forums.

On vBulletin I followed CAD, CAM, KBE and Languages forums, but generally skimmed over the stuff from CAD & CAM as they were more user oriented. Now I'm going to have to try and pick the NXOpen stuff out of these 2 forums. As the number of posts grows this could become more of a problem.

And where does the KBE (KF) stuff go?

Personally, I think there is room for a separate Languages forum. I imagine most of the non-programmer users don't want to see these posts either.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit Testing: NX9.0.2.5