Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Edge Device Kit (OEDK) Status Messages

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I've setup OEDK on my local machine using Docker Compose. Both the Device Kit container as well as the MQTT container starts well,

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 11.13.52 AM.pngDevice Kit and MQTT containers started successfully

The deviceKit container successfully connects with the MQTT container as well. 

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 11.14.19 AM.pngDevice Kit container successfully connected with MQTT container

When I try to check for connection status messages using MQTTBox, I'm not seeing any response from the deviceKit publishing status updates on my MQTT Broker.

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 11.18.18 AM.png

What am I doing wrongly? Here is my docker-compose file.

version: '3.3'
#network for internal communicaton between containers
networks:
  devicekit-subnet:
    ipam:
      config:
        - subnet: 172.30.0.0/24
volumes:
    massdata:  {}

services:
         broker:
                container_name: Mqtt_Broker
                image: "eclipse-mosquitto"
                networks:
                         devicekit-subnet:
                                          ipv4_address: 172.30.0.7
                ports:
                      - "1883:1883"
         agent:
               container_name: Device_Kit
               stop_grace_period: 30s
               build: .
               networks:
                        devicekit-subnet:
                                         ipv4_address: 172.30.0.8
               volumes:
                       - "/Users/sriramsivakumar/Downloads/MindSphere OpenEdge Device Kit (OEDK)/OEDK Docker/massdata:/persistent_massdata:rw"
                        # oedk_config file shoud be configured with broker's ip address (e.g 172.30.0.7 in this configuration)
               environment:
                         - agent_pass=/run/secrets/agent_pass
               secrets:
                       - agent_pass
secrets:
   agent_pass:
             file: ./rand.dat

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Open Edge Device Kit (OEDK) Status Messages

Creator
Creator

You subscribed to the wrong topic. It is "agentruntime/monitoring/opresult/init". During my trials, I received the "Init Successful" message after I started onboarding. Before that, I never got a message (subscribed to #)

Best regards

Andreas

Siemens Genius

Hi @AndreasMchp thanks for the reply. I was trying to get "Connection status" using the topic stated here. It didn't work for me. To get connection status, onboarding is necessary?

Also, where do I get the "onboarding configuration file" from Asset manager? Do I have to create an Agent? If so, what kind of Agent I have to create? I'm stuck in #4 in the steps stated here

Creator
Creator

Hi @SriramSivakumar ,

I used the instuctions in here. But, my steps differ from the setup instructions because I haven't been successful with them either. What I did was

1. Create an asset from type mcnano

2. Open it in the Asset viewer and click on the MindConnect Nano button

3. Enter a random serial number

4. Click on the gear icon

5. Download the connection key file

5. Publish to topic "agentruntime/controlling/command/init" and use the connection key file as message

Depending on you hardware setup, this could take up to 15 minutes. If successful, you receive the "Onboarded" message. The online light turn green in the Asset Viewer if everything runs good (don't forget to reload).

Best regards

Andreas

Siemens Genius

Hi @AndreasMchp ,

Awesome. It worked!! Thanks for the steps.

Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 4.12.45 PM.png

Here is the mcnano agent status ONLINE after successful onboarding via OEDK.Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 4.12.16 PM.png

Regards,

Sriram

Creator
Creator

Smiley Happy

Creator
Creator

Hi,

Does this OEDK only work for Nano and IoT2040 as an Agent? I tried using it with MindConnect Lib but the onboarding key that gets generated in invalid when published to "agentruntime/controlling/command/init".

Can we create this Onboarding configuration file on our own to simulate the same behavior?

Thanks.

Sonali

Creator
Creator

Yes, I always onboard it as a mcnano. If you are asked for the Nano serial number, you can enter a random serial.

What do you mean with create the configuration file on your own? Probably, you can formualte your own cfg file by creating devices and agents via the API. But this is complicated.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, 

I started with the Open Edge Device Kit as executable version on a ubuntu system. After some issues with access rights the OEDK can now onboarding to Mindsphere. But the connection status remains offline. I have found in the logs this message:

[ER] NotificationProcessor | c.s.m.a.k.a | Notification could not be processed <AGENT_CONFIGURATIONS_CHANGED> <89c56760-7bdd-4847-b6b3-3e9b7e127cd3>

If I start the MindEdgeRuntimeSystem again, a token file is not found:

[ER] JobChecker_45 | c.s.m.a.a.f | Get token failed with error message: </persistent_massdata/appData/keyStore/token>
[ER] LogUploader_44 | c.s.m.a.a.f | Get token failed with error message: </persistent_massdata/appData/keyStore/token>

Finally, I tried the Docker version on the same system and it works. I can not find any significant differences between the two versions (same binaries, libraries etc.).

Because I prefer the executable version I hope someone has experience with it or some ideas to solve this issue.

Thanks.

Stefan

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

I use the executable version for quite a while. There is a bug whith the ownership of the folders under

"/persistent_massdata". OEDK generally works under the user "isbuser", but the appData folder is owned by "root".

Try to assign it and all files in it as well to "isbuser". 

When you offboard the device , you have to either restart the device or delete manually the appData folder.

I already reported the issue to the developers they will fix it.