Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2,5 axis programming

Creator
Creator

Hi folks

If you have a 3d model of lets say a cabinet and pick out the individual parts that needs to be milled on to a sheet. Make a toolpath for those and post it, so far so good. If you afterwards change the size or design on the cabinet can you have the parts on the ready programmed sheet to also change, somehow connected? 

OR can you make toolpaths directly on the drawing sheets where you would have nested all milled parts. Might be NX aint the ideal 2,5 axis program but since its NX designed it would all be in same platform.

regards Matias

5 REPLIES

Re: 2,5 axis programming

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

The tool paths in NX are associative so yes they will be connected.  However you will need to re-generate them after an edit. 

You cannot program from the drawing sheet.

I agree that NX is a bit of overkill for 2 axis programming.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Just as joycejo stated, the operations are associative to the geometry they are assigned to, and so any update on the model should prompt the user in the Manufacturing application that they are out-of-date and need to be generated again. Here is a simple 2.5D example.

This simple shape was designed with Sketcher and then extruded.

cab1.JPGcab2.JPG

A Planar Mill operation was then used to mill out the pockets. The driving geometry selected were the eight edges of the pockets as the part boundaries, and the bottom face of the solid as the floor.

cab3.JPG

A design change is made to the original sketch which updates the extrusion.

cab4.JPGcab5.JPG

Upon returning to the Manufacturing application, you can now see that Planar Mill operation has an Out-of-date symbol.

cab6.JPG

This is telling the user that something was changed in the parameters of the operation, and that the tool path needs to be regenerated. Simply right-click on the operation and select generate. The associative tool path is now correct with the design change.

The only reason this may not work is if you selected geometry that is not associated with the design. For example, if some derived curves were made from the solid which were not associative and used as the operation part boundaries, then the operation would not change with the design. The curves would have to be manually updated for the tool path to follow suit.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for that. What I also ment was if you have a ready made what ever (cabinet) 

and copies the individual solids from it and lay them flat (nested) on a sheet. Can the copies be 

connected to the original model so when you make changes it also modifies 

the sheet to be milled.  

When I program furnitures I really dont wanna do it directly on the original model, rather I

take a copy and disassembly it to get as many parts as possible on one ex. plywood sheet.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sounds to me that you really need some training on the use of Assemblies. 

You can create a manufacturing file and then bring in the individual components to "Nest" them.  Then create the NC tool paths.  This will keep them associative back to the original design and to where you have positioned them on your sheet.  This is also refered to as the "Master Model Concept" 

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace
Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Creator
Creator

Smiley Very Happy  totally agree on the training. 

I'm actually a Mastercam dude so trying to get more info before eventually

move towards NX. The biggest obstacle would be an EASY function of ears, bridges to hold

smaller pieces in place. NX dont offer such a thing out of the box like MC does.

Learn online

Solution Information