Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3+2 hole making control

Creator
Creator

In Hole Making when select many holes in diferent orientation, to be drilled on 5 axis (table/tool) machine, NX chooses one out of two possible tool/table orientation to drill each hole. Some holes that are close to machine travel limit might not be possible to drill with selected A/C values since machine would overtravel.

In Floor-Wall module is possible to select the values of A and C axis for the milling of selected floor/wall feature. 

It would be nice to have same control in hole-making. To add A and C value for each hole, together with hole depth.

Curently only control that I am aware is to restrict the A axis range by editing A axis range in machine kinematic model. When that is done machine capability to drill other holes from selected set of holes is reduced.

Any idea is welcome.

4 REPLIES

Re: 3+2 hole making control

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Some info that may help you...

1) NX chooses the rotary axis position with the least total rotary axis motion.  E.g. if delta to option 1 is 30°(4th axis) and 40°(5th axis), and the delta to option 2 is 0 (4th axis) and 90°(5th axis) it will choose option 1 (70 is less than 90)

2) For the *first* position in an operation, you can influence the position chosen by using the ROTATE UDE.

I tend to choose these options, I'm sure others will work:

- choose specific axis (A/B/C)

- Absolute

- Type= none

- angle = desired rotary axis angle - note you just need to be "close enough" - see (1) above

- "Check" the reference only option - this way the actual values are NOT output, but are just used as reference to choose the actual values per (1)

- If needed, you may need to set both rotary axis values (e.g. if you want to use the "A180 B180" position, instead of "A0 B0", you may have to set both A and B)

3) You can modify the rotary axis limits on a per-operation basis (although IS&V may over-ride this).  Use a UDE to reset mom_kin_4th_axis_max_limit, mom_kin_4th_axis_min_limit (and/or equivalent 5th axis variables) then "MOM_reload_kinematics".  Just don't forget to reset the limits again after the operation has finished (or however you want the UDE to behave).  My UDE has 3 "preset" options (post limits, machine limits, and probing limits) and then allows the user an option to specify any values they want.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator
Hello ken,
I use 2) as you stated only for first hole, also I use 3). A axis limit is -120<A<30, so either I can remove range from 0 to +30 or from 0 to -30 to force NX to use A-11 since A11 would overtravel. But other hole on the other side of part might need to use only A10 while A-10 would over travel.
If i want to be specific I need to use A value for each holes close to machine limits.

Is it possible to customize and add that A value to interface window?

My local NX Cam support stated that he included that as opportunity to improve NX but when and if that will happen i have no idea.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If the machine limits are set, NX *should* pick the option that fits.  Note I have most experience here with rotary axis limits, much less with linear axis limits.  I don't know if having an IS&V model set up effects this.

Also note (depending on post settings) I have found that if there is NO valid rotary position that works, you may get garbage, and (without hunting down the error message file) you don't see any warning.

If you have consistant location relative to machine zero (i.e. you know MCS origin relative to machine, so you can figure out axis positions relative to the limits) you could write code to examine the position, and force usage of the alternate position instead.  (mom_alt_pos)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

You are right. When hole_making is not supported the solution isn´t worth much. As I remember, Siemens has just forgotten to include hole_making in this. We were pressing to make Siemens fill the gap, but to be honest I don´t have a current status.

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 12.0.1.7 D2
In testing NX 12.0.1.7 MP4

Learn online

Solution Information