Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Material Removal

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi all,

When simulating a part, I can see 3D Material Removal of my blank. If there has been a collision, the material stays and is not removed where the collision was after the collision. in multi depth cuts, this material is left floating in mid air and contiues to pick up collisions even though in reality the piece would be gone. I am in a situation where I am working at the machining limits. So depths of cut and non cutting moves tight. The material I am cutting is eps foam. So where there is a collision is just a matter of the operator getting a sawzall out and trimming a bit of foam.  

Is there a 3D Material Removal setting  where the material will be removed even if there is a collision?

5 REPLIES

Re: 3D Material Removal

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I've created Enchancement Request for this some time ago. I suggest you to create another one. It was more about possibility to get rid of small rests of material, which usually drops off after rough passes /  after trimming.

ER# 1972246 

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

In the Modeling application there is a Reverse Engineering tab that allows you to modify facet bodies. Here you can use the Snip command to cut out the parts of the leftover blank material after you create it into a facet body using 3D Dynamic Verify.

However, this all depends on your license, which most CAM people probably don't have this functionality. In that case you still have the option of getting rid of unwanted IPW pieces by creating dummy tool paths. Again, simply transform the IPW with floating pieces into a facet body with 3D Dynamic Verify and place it in its own layer. Then use another operation such as Cavity Mill or Planar Mill to get rid of the unwanted pieces. Make a new facet body again from that operation and use it as the blank definition for the next operation you intend on actually running. You can delete the dummy operation or move it into the Unused Items folder.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi dbfoster24,

I understand your question is prediction of how much material would be gone after cutting.I guess NX does not know this.

You know well,there is a no solution for this problem when you look at simulation settings.

Solution is your knowledge of your machining eps foam.Or you can use different cutting tools or special tools. You can use different operations.Or you can use different machines.

Solution is you .

Pioneer
Pioneer

In no way did i mention prediction. my question was "Is there a 3D Material Removal setting where the material will be removed even if there is a collision?

Not sure you understand,,, In no way did i mention prediction.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello,

let me add my two comments to this discussion:

1. About this question:
"Is there a 3D Material Removal setting where the material will be removed even if there is a collision?"

Short answer: No. The system will not remove material e.g. when cutting in rapid or colliding IPW with the holder

2. About small IPW pieces flying around the air.
We do plan to enhance it and support multiple IPW objects, so that smaller pieces like that will be removed.
I can not state any release version yet.

Thomas

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Learn online

Solution Information