Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 3D Solid Tool Library - NX CAM - Without TeamCenter

Creator
Creator

Stefan,

Again, I am not a programmer nor a frequent NX user, so I apologize for not following completely.

What is the difference between a library entry and a "solid tool"? Is it basically the difference between ASCII and a model file?

If I understand your second statement correctly, we would have to create the custom tool using ASCII but we could show the model file while using verification? The one thing I am looking to avoid is having programming draw the insert/inserts only (turning tool) based off a given gageline, and then have to jump into Vericut to prove out the cutting with the associated holder. This would be very time consuming and not very practical. It would be best if we could drive off the model, but if not, being able to atleast see the tool while simulating the cutting in NX would be ideal.

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead
TDM 4.7, NX 9.0, Vericut 7.3.1, Solidworks 2014

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The tool entry in the ASCII library is mandatory, you can not use a tool model directly.

On the other hand, a tool model will be automatically associated to the ASCII library entry for display purposes.

The steps and locations are outlined in the NX documentation.

Basically it resembles to the following steps:

1. create a tool entry in the ASCII library
  2. create a tool model using the library reference ID as the part name

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

My customers usually create their own libraries so I don't have a lot of direct experience with it.  One job I recall though required my participation in it.  It was back in NX 7.5 and we built a library of solid tools for a Mazak mill turn.  I'm sure this isn't what the developers intended but here is what we did as I loosely recall.

- We got the tool assemblies from the supplier and saved them as  NX assemblies.

- In the assembly master create a tool in the NX CAM application.

- The tool was "schematically" defined via user inputs.

- Export the tool to library following the steps in the docs.

- Delete the CAM setup and go into MTB.

- Select the appropriate components as cutting and non-cutting if not set already.

- Place TOOL_MOUNT and TOOL_TIP junctions on the models if not there already.

- Add TOOL_TIP junctions for flash tools.

- Save the assembly.

I'm sure this will get my wrists slapped but it worked for us.  There must be a better way but we didn't see it at the time.  Maybe it was a NX 7.5 bug but we found that if there was a CAM setup in the tool assembly model when it was saved, memory errors popped up.

My memory may be flawed too. Smiley Happy

Good luck,

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation
Highlighted

If I remember correctly, it is never recommended to add a CAM setup to a tool or machine assembly.

The machine tool builder application is also complaining about an existing CAM setup if you start it.

The machine tool builder application and the machine tool navigator are two different things, where the builder utilizes the navigator.

The only CAM object in such a part file is the kinematic model of the tool or machine as specified through the machine tool builder application.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

That's correct Stefan.  the reason for using the CAM environment was to conveniently export the tool to the library.  The alternatative is to edit the tool database manually.  After exporting, delete the CAM setup and enter the MTB application (not the Machine Tool Navigator) and all is clean.

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Pioneer
Pioneer

@Not-Yet-Retired:

Our Siemens Support Engineer has described these exact steps for our library, it's the same in NX 10. This is a horrible thing to have to do, every system out there is able to use Solids. Mastercam certainly does good use of it, although it fails in other areas NX excels in. I love NX and wish there was something better for Solid Assembly without having to redefine the tool parametrically. On the fly selection of a Tool and Holder with adjustable Tool Insertion (OS) would be awsome; Mastercam has this as well.

-Bill

Organization, an essential part of Productivity !

Production: NX10.0.3 MP13, VERICUT 8.0
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX11.0, iMachining 2.0, Adaptive Roughing

@BJimenez wrote:

Our Siemens Support Engineer has described these exact steps for our library, it's the same in NX 10. This is a horrible thing to have to do, every system out there is able to use Solids. Mastercam certainly does good use of it, although it fails in other areas NX excels in. I love NX and wish there was something better for Solid Assembly without having to redefine the tool parametrically. On the fly selection of a Tool and Holder with adjustable Tool Insertion (OS) would be awsome; Mastercam has this as well.

-Bill

I'm not sure what steps you are refering to - adding a solid tool to the library? Parametric or non-parametric?

If you need to bring in vendor tool solid models, take a look at MRL - this is our solution for native and managed users.

In NX, you can select a tool, select the holder, and enter the insertion distance. What more are you looking for here? 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer
Mark,

I was referring to the steps @Not-Yet-Retired described. Adding a solid assembly to a library works, and it works well; however, in a prototype environment it poses a problem. We have defined tools but insertion lengths change with each job, this forces me to edit the assembly each time I create a new job or to define multiple assemblies with different configurations of the same tool. Keep in mind that the assemblies do not stay built as defined all the time. The advantage of a tool assembly is that I don't have to define the holder one diameter at a time.

MRL presents the same problem, I would have to define several assemblies. We like to keep everything the shortest possible, even if it means pushing the tool in .200" more. Parametrically this is not an issue because once my tool is ported in I can change the OS and I'm done, but then the assembly would not match the defined tool.

If you are heavily changing the state of the assembly, don't use solid tools at all.

Parametric tools can be changed at any time, just add a generic one to the library and you are done.

Pioneer
Pioneer

We have many holders in our shop, diffrent tapers and front ends; perhaps close to 1000. This is what I meant about having to define each holder at least one time vs the ability to pull in manufacturer solid models. Other CAM systems can do this and keep the tool insertion dynamic as well. Unfortunately they do not beat NX when it comes to CAM and overall fucntionality.

-Bill

Learn online

Solution Information