Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

3D Solid Tool Library - NX CAM - Without TeamCenter

Does anybody have any good documentation on how to build a 3D solid tool library, within NX?

We do not use TeamCenter.

We are currently using NX 7.5 and NX 8.0

We are starting to setup Vericut (CGTech), so we are looking to be able to use the entire assembly for both systems.

Douglas Sagan
Methods Engineer
JOY Global - Underground Mining
Franklin, PA, USA - Plant 1
23 REPLIES

Re: 3D Solid Tool Library - NX CAM - Without TeamCenter

Basically, you use the ASCII tool library, with the addition of part files in the graphics folder.

In the help, search for "Tool assembly part files" in the CAM General book to see how it works.

We include 20 of these assemblies out of the box as samples. To try it out, retrieve milling tool ugt0202_001 (metric) or ugti0202_019 (inch) and use them in a milling operation. When you go to verify, you can select to see the tool assembly instead of the parametric tool.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

When you export a tool to the ASCII tool library, you also have the ability to create the part files from the tool dialog.

To only have to maintain one tool library and not duplicate it for VERICUT, use the NX to VERICUT interface from CGtech.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

The interface definitely works for parametric tools (exporting nx tools to vericut.) Has anyone used the interface successfully with solid ones?

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

When I try to insert>tool, and search for the ugti0202_019 (inch), it does not appear in my selection of tools. None of the UG.. tools appear, in fact. Is there something I a missing?

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead
TDM 4.7, NX 9.0, Vericut 7.3.1, Solidworks 2014

Try this:

Create Tool --> Retrieve Tools from Library --> [+] next to Milling --> End Mill (indexable) --> OK --> Library Units = Inch --> OK. OOTB you should see 20 tools.

Select ugti0202_019 --> Display, and you should see the solid assembly.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Just a foot note on the tool creation  topic.  There is a free software called "Machining Cloud" that gives access to a lot of tool models from a number of suppliers.  I installed it and I find it a real time saver.  Not all tool manufacturers are on board yet but every few months or so they add a new one.  It's a step by step process.  First select the manufacturer, then the tool, the insert, the holder, extension, etc.  When you're done a step file of the assembly is created for you to download.  It can be put into your NX library as well as your verification software library.

https://www.machiningcloud.com/

I hope this is helpful info for you.

George

George Bennett
All NX versions
W7 Ultimate
Dell Precision M6700
Spirit of Innovation

Mark,

Thank you for the response. This issue I am having is we are now pointing to the TDM library so the workflow you provided will not work in my case, I do not believe. I now see the tool classes/groups in TDM instead of the OOTB NX default tool types.

However, when I go to create tool, and I change the type from "mill_planar" to browse and I find the assembly that you provided, I find it in the library but when I go to select it, I get the following error message " Template part error, Part has no manufacturing environment-cannot serve as a template"

I am unsure what this means.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead

George,

Thank you for your follow up.

We have begun using the machining cloud along with software provided by some of our tooling manufactures to assist in model availability. That side works well and most of the time, the models provided are great. As stated in my reply to Mark, our issue however is getting those .prt files into our manufacturing file. I would think you could pull in a model and use it to drive cutting given the tool had associated parameters. 

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead

You cannot use a solid tool in NX CAM directly, you always have to use the library entry.

The solid tool will only be used for display purposes, it will not be used to calculate the tool path.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information