cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Axis Milling Challenge

Creator
Creator

Hello everybody!

I just ran into a part that I've been troubling to get it machined with NX 10.0.3.5.

Tried many scenarios to machine this, using Streamline, with 4ax Normal to Part with part geometry, 4ax Normal to Drive Axis and also Relative to Part, Drive with tilted tool angle axis. With these I tried different combinations of towards drive, away from line, tool axis projections didn't help.

What I want to achieve is to machine walls of the geometry with the side of the tool, one side pass for roughing and one side pass finishing, while extending Z level a little bit after last Z level, having smooth toolpath on corners.

Honestly, my effort didn't get me anywhere near what I want.

I'm not very experienced but I can say I like to figure things out by myself, but this time I really felt that I need help on this, can somebody point me towards a good documentation, sample file or right direction?

6 REPLIES

Re: 4 Axis Milling Challenge

Legend
Legend

*variable contour,

*surface area method, step% 0,100 -> -10,100  or something like that, ( depend on directions )

tool will go under bottom face

number of stepovers 0, Zig,

*projetion vector toward drive, back off distance 1, 2 ..try

*tool axis swarf drive,

Snímka.JPG

drive method are %  -10 , 90, number of stepovers 2

Snímka.JPG

Try same logic with streamline drive method.

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your effort, that solved my problem quickly!

Do you also know how to keep tool tip in the middle of cylinder so it creates more consistent moves?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Another option could be contour profile, which is the new way of swarf drive programming.

dfdfgs wrote:

Do you also know how to keep tool tip in the middle of cylinder so it creates more consistent moves?

You will have to use tool axis away from line to get this, but it might not create a nice tool path.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Legend
Legend

but be carefull, tool aligned with walls doesnt point to one line/axis along whole wall surface (maybe never) so in that case tool wont be aligned with walls.

definetlly use contour profile operation or swarf drive tool vector.

Snímka.JPG

@dfdfgsIve tried to keep tooltip in the middle with countour profile operation with ring height parameter but I wasnt satisfied with tool paths.

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Creator
Creator

@Stefan_Pendl

I thought about this but it seemed to me contour profile creates only 5 axis toolpath, never actually tried for 4ax up until now, and i think I was wrong about it.

Creator
Creator

@Juraj 

That's the point I missed, thank you.

Learn online

Solution Information