cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Axis multi side machining HMC

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Everyone. New to the Site since I'm new to NX. Here my situation and hopefully someone can tell me the correct process to follow. We are machining a part down from a solid piece of 6061 on a HMC. We machine the part down to .05 inches clearance to the finished surface then reposition the stock in the new position then continue machining. In catia you would out put the part in that machined condition and reposition it for the next machining operation. How do you do that in NX?

4 REPLIES

Re: 4 Axis multi side machining HMC

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Which NX release are you using?

Starting with NX 8.5 you add the CAD component at the new position and create a new workpiece geometry that points to the previous setup for the stock model (blank).

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter

We are on 8.5 currently and moving to 9.0 after the start of the year. How do i get that new cad component after the first cut? I was hoping in could some how generate a cad model from the first cut, then translate it to a modified position, then generate my second cut. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I assume you have the CAD part as a component added to the CAM setup part, so you just need to use regular assembly functions to add the CAD component once more and reposition it.

If you don't use the master-model design for your CAM setup, you can enable 3D-IPW usage.

The 3D-IPW will be inherited by the subsequent operations within the same geometry group.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

In the help, search for "IPW", and darrow the scope to Manufacturing Milling - that should give you plenty to read.

Regarding terminology, in NX, the Blank is the intial material for an operation, and the IPW (In Process Workpiece) is the produced by subtracting a tool path from the blank.

In the most general case, the blank is defined in the Workiece geometry group, and the outgoing IPW of each operation is the input blank to the next operation. The IPW from the last operation in the group can be used as the blank for the workpiece in the next setup.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information