Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

4th axis Post and tool axis with A and B tilt.

Creator
Creator

Hello Ive discovered an issue with my post that ive used for years, that I'd like to come up with a fix for.

Its a 4th axis Post for A axis.

I just ran into an issue that if i accidentally have a slight B tilt to my tool axis in an operation, that i dont get the correct A number in the code, it just leaves it at the prior A, and makes that cut from the complete wrong attitude.

The best thing i suppose would to just have PB error out if theres any B tilt to a tool axis. So i can go back and fix that operation.

But im not finding the piece of code that decides the A number for a tool axis so maybe i could add in an IF B then Error snipet.

6 REPLIES

Re: 4th axis Post and tool axis with A and B tilt.

Phenom
Phenom

What are the rotaries? Are they table or head (table - part moving, head - tool moving.) Is the post set to this configuration?

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Creator
Creator

Part moving. The post itself works fine, and has for years, If evidently all your tool axis' Are all only rotating around X. I just accidentally defined one with .01 of B tilt and 90deg of A tilt, and it completely hosed the code. I'd like to become aware if i ever do that again. I couldnt see the B tilt in Verify it was so slight. But the code left it at the prior A, with my clearance planes being Y motions instead of Z and everything. In verify, it did look like the correct attitude though.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Check mom_tool_axis(1) != 0.0

i.e.

if {![EQ_is_zero $mom_tool_axis(1)]} {
    # Your error here
}

add to a custom command, add that to linear and rapid move events, drill cycles, maybe some other places

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

Ok - I guess you are saying you don't have a B but the NX geometry sent a tool axis to the post which is a little out for what the kinematics handles. Even though you get output - if you launch the review tool - I bet there is a warning that the tool axis can't be achieved.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, there's a warning - that the user never sees!

Not much use (imho).

OK, you can turn on  the warnings option, then you have to look in a separate files to see if there were any issues....and EVERYBODY does that EVERY time they post, right ? (not!)

Same issue happens if (5 axis mill) machine just can't get to tool axis (due to rotary axis limits) - post punts and doesn't output anything.  And user never sees warning.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Thank you for your replies, i have implemented a version of the code up there.

Seems to Proc well so far when purposely having a bad tool axis, and not when all is well.

Almost seems like that should come stock on 4th axis posts. Smiley Happy

Learn online

Solution Information