cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th axis roughing.... Even Autodesk $1000 a year Fusion has it now....

Legend
Legend

*sigh*

Adaptive 4th axis roughing in a $1000 year subscription license

Pretty disconcerning to see this from a software package at this price point when I spend more than $10k a year for 2 seats just in maintenance...

NX11.0.1
9 REPLIES

Re: 4th axis roughing.... Even Autodesk $1000 a year Fusion has it now....

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Fusion 360? The same functionality will be released in NX v360, may be NX360.0.1, trust me!

Genius
Genius

Hey D

Sounds much like us here. We primarely turn cast blanks but also do a significant amount of 4ax. Life's hard indeed!

Below screengrab/part is something that Siemens rigged for us quickly. Using a Fixed Contour>Toolpath operation with a projected planar mill toolpath drive (in CLS format). Unfortunately it is unreliable and much time consuming to program. Certainly works for the letter T however I can't recommended this for multi-feature parts.

Wonder if there is a quicker way to unwrap and wrap back a toolpath using the post directly - or using nxopen for this matter. I'm guessing it would require some motions to be converted from linear to rotary (e.g XYZ to XAZ)?

4ax_rough.jpg

Legend
Legend

Yeah I have a similiar plugin where you can wrap a planar path but like you said... if you want to make changes it is a whole lot of work.

NX11.0.1

Genius
Genius

Interesting, Siemens never told us about the plugin. They did mention I could get more done using nxopen(?!?), whatever this means, but I just can't imagine going as deep as having to program C or VB from scratch here. I wish

So... we got ourselves a copy of Bobcad for 4ax. Friendly dudes, qnd they did the PP overnight for our ctrl without us having to ask for it. Magical, and itwerks. Cheaper than 2/y of Fusion360 also lol

Would have been nice to hear about this plugin before :/ can you link me up?

Genius
Genius

For info. In our case below is what made us quit NX's 4ax.  Those sort of random behaviours are coming from both the ootb and library 4ax posts. Sadly and after spending almost 25+hrs trying to figure it out, we've simply quit it all together.

N2300 ;Engage Move
; WARNING: unable to determine valid rotary positions 
;   Operation CONTOUR_ROUGH_INSTANCE_3 - Event 181 : MOM_linear_move (ENGAGE) 
;     N2300 ;Engage Move 
;  

N2300 ;engage Move (lolll)

Don't get me wrong, we do use NX for CAD and validation a lot however. Cam for turning operations only, almost. I'd still be interested to see how this wrap plugin works.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Starting with NX 10 there is the rotary floor operation, which is similar to the one shown in the video.

It is in its initial phase, but it will be improved over the next releases.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer

Almost sad how user friendly that interface is. Being able to inherit settings looks like a piece of cake.  Using a cylinder clearance plain in NX can be frustrating at times during multi axis moves.

Damian Forsythe
Impact Manufacturing Group
NX 10.0.3.5

Genius
Genius

As OP said, you'd think that the Rotary module would provide more than a trick or two at that price.

I could be wrong but heard the only CAM package that does not offer 4ax roughing is NX CAM. Let alone being forced to use ball endmills only.

In its current form it reminds me of this:tgmcwxnh.jpg

Genius
Genius

Where are the 4ax wrap plugin mentioned, Looked everwhwere on the UGS ftp /CAM folder, ect.

All I can find is a youtube vid of custom wrap plugin possibly self-written by a user in Russia, not sure. Do we have a toolpath wrap examples in NXOpen anywhere to base code onto?

Learn online

Solution Information