Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 5 Axis Table Table post

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I too am trying to create a post for a table table machine. I've been working on this for a while on and off. More on than off lately. I've been through a lot trying to get a functioning post and still haven't quit got it.

In a nutshell the OOTB fanuc 30i falls grossly short of being what it was quotes as being. The instructor for postbuilder said the this post was near perfect and not much had to be done to it to fit a machine tool. This couldn't be further from the truth.

As far as the OOTB sample post that came with NX, the table\table machine is this one:

C:\Program Files (x86)\UGS\NX 7.5\MACH\resource\library\machine\installed_machines\sim06_mill_5ax\postprocessor\fanuc\sim06_mill_5ax_fanuc_in.pui.

not the sim08 as suggested. A table\table machine is typically configured with B\C tables rotating about Y and Z respectively. After some evaluation I found that the

proc PB_CMD_set_csys { } supplied with this post did rotate the B and C properly but output the value '0' for X,Y,Z when there is a translation in both the Y and Z with my new CSYS. This proc seems to do the math to establish the new XYZ values but never assigns them to the Axis. It makes you wonder if the person who wrote this ever opened up a book to understand what axis translation involved. I had better luck with the imported custom command "pb_cmd_coordinate_system_rotation.tcl" which when imported overwrites the above file. This imported file didn't work OOTB either. It requires considerable TCL editing. I had it working with my old computer but I am having and issue with my new one. It does not output the G69 to cancel the axis translation now.

The OOTB fanuc 30i RTCP is a disaster as well. I have chosen to take the sim06 sample post and work with this to get it to function the way I want. I'm not sure how much experience GTAC has with both of these needs. I delt with them personally and was rather discouraged by the lack of knowledge when it comes to what and how these functions are used in a 5 axis machine tool.

BTW I looked at the sim08 as was suggested, and it too will never output the XYZ values required if need in and G68 translation. The RTCP looks good? but havn't qualifed the output yet.

Take a look at what I posted about the same topic. If you want to collaborate out efforts to make this happen, let me know. I would be happy to have someone else working toward the same end with me.

Check the link out below for my postings about the same topic.

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-CAM/Postbuilder-RTCP-TCP/m-p/258329#M17812

wayne-o

Phenom
Phenom

Does the cse simulation correctly show the problems you mentioned? This is why simulation helps in post building - I just wondered if ISV is getting something from the post that makes it simulate fine with samples.

With my production posts I handle transformations myself by overwriting MOM_before_motion - but have seen TT posts work without this pain (but haven't looked at samples.) I had to work through all the lock axis code yesterday to use it for switching to drive a table live. I was under some wrong impressions before (and probably still am.) Sometimes you just have to play in the tcl under post builder to find out the details of what is happening.

Anyway - I will try to see what you are talking about with these samples. Good to know.

NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro
ITC Inc.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The Sim06 had no axis translations. So G68\69 out put was not required. I used the post on my own test part. As I said, the RTCP seems work but, I haven't qualified the output yet.

wayne-o

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just got the G68 output to work in the sim06. it need to change the pop_X\Y\Z to the values below in the proc PB_CMD_set_csys { }

set pop_X 0 => set pop_X $X
set pop_Y 0 => set pop_Y $Y
set pop_Z 0 => set pop_Z $Z

Makes you wonder after all the stuff I have been dealing with the quality of work Siemens is selling. Maybe a little more research and testing would go a long way.

wayne-o

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I haven't looked in the NX9 docs, but one of the problems with selecting a specific controller when creating a post  (and I assume the example machines have the same issue)  is documenting WHY they made certain choices (and/or communicating all the nuances of what they did, how to turn features on/off, etc.).

For instance, I did a post for a Siemens 840D controlled machine.

I started by creating a new post & selecting the 840D controller.

I couldn't get G2/G3 arcs out (it was using only G1 motion).  Eventually, with enough digging, I figured out which UDE/settings to change to get G2/G3s.  But then the post would "complain" (output a warning) that I had turned something off.

I have NEVER got a good explanation of why outputting G2/G3 motion should have a warning (or even why it is, by default, turned off).  I could understand not using it in the middle of a 5 axis contouring path (as look ahead/smoothing won't work well) but for a "3+2" prismatic machining part, why is it "bad"?

So I re-created the post from scratch using a "generic" control.

Unfortunately documenting these types of decisions "after the fact" is very hard to do. I find I miss documenting a lot of my decisions when developing my posts, so I have to remember what I was trying to do, what case was causing the problem, etc. and then create a coherent description of "why?" when I am asked questions.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Wayne,

Is there any chance you could upgrade to NX 9 ?

NX 7.5 was released 4 years ago, and I think most of the sample machines have been updated.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, 

Yes, we are slated to upgrade to NX9 this month but I guess there are some issues with this version we want to have resolved. Does RTCP and Tilted work plane function correctly in NX9 sample machines?

I don't know exactly what was updated, but there were weveral updates to the samples. I suggest you wait for NX9 and try your use case there. If it's still not right, call GTAC and they get development to look in to the details.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

I can not change it. Fanu reads it

G68 X Y Z İ J K R

he does not read it G68.2 X Y İ K 

Learn online

Solution Information