Adaptive milling - wall surface

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hello,

after adaptive milling we get such wall surface:

aa.jpg

Other software:

bb.JPG

I loged ER months ago - possibility to turn on cleaning pass (not finishing pass). ER9076441 .

And status is No plans.

To create extra operation - to clean profile/or to make even stock - it takes time.

To have one check box in adaptive milling for cleaning pass is more comfortable Smiley Happy 

+ cutcom check box to make this cleaning pass leaving precise stock we want Smiley Wink

Is it good idea?

@AlexanderFreund

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Adaptive milling - wall surface

Pioneer
Pioneer
I will very very chcek box finish passes with cutcom in adaptive milling. :-D
Vladimir Jesensky, CAM, TFM Slovakia

Production: (NX 12.0.02 mp05)
Testing:(EAP1872)
Time is money

Genius
Genius

I agree it would save time to have a finish pass option in adaptive milling.   

Kurt Neubaecker
CAD/CAM Designer
Proficient Industries
Cleveland, Ohio

Legend
Legend

Your right, Cavity Mill has it. Even an option to "cut walls only" would help. Usually you use a different tool for finish pass, so it would most likely be in a different operation. You could cut and paste the Adaptive operation, change tools then "cut walls only" with a finish pass. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Gears Phenom

I wanted to tell also - I meant cleaning pass, not finishing pass.

Check "wall cleanup" in cavity strategy tab when zig, zig zag pattern is used.

I assume if material is hard you also want to leave even stock for finishing.

I have met with roughing where the stock must be even and precise.

So cleaning pass in adaptive would be good.

Copy and paste - it is one extra operation before finishing operation Smiley Sad.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hey guys,

I hear you :-)

Soooo, let's talk about the lovely topic of Cleanup/ Finish Passes + Cutter Compensation. It is a valid and good request and we are aware of it. Currently, it doesn't have enough priority to be selected over other projects, that is why I gave the ER the Status No Plans in the beginning, but changed it to Unscheduled.

If you just want to have a clearing pass, where you simply use the regular Max. Stepover, then the scope of the project would be not too big.

Now you are asking for additional Cutter Compensation for that clearing pass - which would be a logic step, since the tools are often not new. If that comes into play, then the project scope would be bigger, because it can be quiet dangerous to do this.

Imagine you programmed an Adaptive Milling toolpath with a 12 mm end mill. Your real tool is regrind to diameter 10.8 mm. If you do cutter compensation for just the last path, you can say Goodbye to your tool, because it gets overloaded by 0.6mm. To avoid breaking the tool, you would need to slow down the feedrate. If you run with a too slow feedrate, but the same Spindle Speed, say Goodbye to your tool life, because the Spindle Speed would be much too high. If you change the feedrate, you would also need to change the Spindle Speed.  

So the project scope is adding Clearing Pass, Change of Feed and Speed and Cutcom for Clearing Pass.

From experience I would say using a second (much cheaper) tool and adding a second operation would be the better approach. 

But just looking at programming time, yes the Clearing option is attractive.

I would be happy to discuss ideas.

Cheers,

Alexander

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I thought adaptive milling is for roughing a huge amount of material, so finishing walls is not required.

A cleanup strategy is already included if I am not mistaken.

I would not turn adaptive milling into the same multi-functional nonsense as cavity milling has been turned into.

Leave it as a dedicated roughing operation and use other operations for finishing.

Cavity milling is unreliable enough and there are too many options to select from that users are confused enough.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Legend
Legend

@Stefan_Pendl Now that I think about you are right. The biggest issue with trying to do too many things in one operation, is that the non-cutting moves apply to the entire operation. Adaptive non-cutting moves really don't apply to a profile type of pass. You would end up having a separate set of non-cutting moves for the finish pass, which would be confusing.

I still think adding one final profile type pass to the end of adaptive could be beneficial, but leave out the cutter comp, and the engage/retract complexity, just a one final stepover profile cut option, with one check box to turn it on and off, and a distance/% of tool option for the final pass.

This could probably be done now manually by leaving extra side stock, copy and paste operation using 3D IPW, then put a slightly lower side stock value on the newly copied operation. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Gears Phenom

I just want to have smooth surface after adaptive and constant stock for finishing,

what adaptive currently doesnt handle.

So thats why cleaning pass (not literarlly the finishing pass).

Thats all. Smiley Happy

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Stefan is making valid points. We could add a ton of more options to the processor, but it would enlarge the complexity.

That is why we decided to not add Adaptive Milling as a cut pattern in Cavity Mill. Have a dedicated operation for HDC cutting.

In January, Bottom Up Cutting for Adaptive Milling will be released and a couple of other smaller enhancements are in the making as well.

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Learn online

Solution Information