Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Adaptive milling - wall surface

Genius
Genius

I agree with Juraj. Just want a smooth finish on the walls. If I need to finish to a close tolerance then I would make another toolpath just for finishing. I encounter many situations that only require a tolerance of +/-0.005 in and adaptive milling is more than capable of handling this but just need the cleanup pass to smooth out the walls.

Kurt Neubaecker
CAD/CAM Designer
Proficient Industries
Cleveland, Ohio

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@AlexanderFreund,

is there any type of cleanup path in the plans, so that one doesn't get a wall with a high scallop?

This would be the thing that would allow for a better prerequisite for finishing operations.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I agree that a "Clean up" pass would be benificial. Having straight walls make the finish pass more predictable and easier for the machine operator to control the size.

John Joyce, Manufacturing Engineer,
Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect
the opinion of my employer or any other member of the human race

Legend
Legend

I also agree there should be an option to check to give the profile one profile pass at finish depth. I've been working on very tall parts with 4 different adaptive passes at different levels and always have to add stock to each next depth more than I'd like to not rub the cutter in certain spots

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We take it into consideration, but there is nothing planned yet. I have an improvement in mind to improve the resulting surface quality without finish passes.

For a simple cleanup pass we would need to make sure it works in combination with the Bottom Up Cutting. You want it on regular perpendicular walls, but not on tapered or freeform geometries, while doing the small Step Up Cuts in Bottom Up Cutting. Otherwise there will be complaints, that there are unnecassary cut motions leading to longer machining time.

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

hi,

I think general idea was placed and many people told their opinion.

Hope it will help in any way. Smiley Happy

"For a simple cleanup pass we would need to make sure it works in combination with the Bottom Up Cutting. You want it on regular perpendicular walls, but not on tapered or freeform geometries, while doing the small Step Up Cuts in Bottom Up Cutting. Otherwise there will be complaints, that there are unnecassary cut motions leading to longer machining time"

So there could one extra check box for it as well.

In general one or two check boxes with simple meaning will not make operation more complicated.

They could be turned OFF by default.

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Could we agree that an additional cleanup path is not the best way, but we would prefer something along the lines of "zig with contour", which was suggested by @AlexanderFreund.

This way only one path would be needed and the walls would get cleaned up automatically.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

PLM World Member Phenom

As long as there is a way to remove to scallops on the walls I am fine with that.  This saves creating an operation for this purpose.

Senior Aerospace

NX 11.0.2.7 Vericut 8.0.3 - Statements and opinions are mine alone and do not reflect

PLM World Member Phenom

As long as there is a way to remove to scallops on the walls I am fine with that.  This saves creating an operation for this purpose.

Senior Aerospace

Learn online

Solution Information