Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Parameters to Methods

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I would like to add parameters such as tool stepover % to a machining method. I would also like to add Final Floor Stock to a Method as well. Is this possible and if so, how can I do it? 

Thank you.

10 REPLIES

Re: Add Parameters to Methods

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Currently you can not add these items to a method. You can use the Machining Data Library that can set depth of cut, step over, and speeds and feeds.

Global stock can be set with a method, but final floor stock is a function of the operation.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Machining parameters are handled through the feeds and speed library.

There is no way to add the final floor stock, since that is not available in all operation types.

If you customize the method object dialog, you will find that there is not much to add at all.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you for the reply. I guess I'll have to go have multiple methods so I can easily set stepover and depth of cut. Only time will tell if it worth putting in the time to do that though. Maybe there is a better way to drive stepover and depth of cut?

Legend
Legend

Marek @Marek_Pawlus (ncmatic) toolkit gives you the ability to mass modify operations of the same template. It is very helpful for big programs. See picture.

2018-05-04_1755.png

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

yes, this case was one of the reasons why I made BulkEdit for NX. I was working with parts with big numbers of very similar CAM operations.

Changing one option for 50 or more CAM operations can be iritating Smiley Wink

And here is demonstration how it works: https://youtu.be/gHnW7CbAAfs

Marek Pawlus, NCmatic

Production: NX 12.0.1
Development: C#, Tcl/Tk, CSE

@Imperial wrote:
I guess I'll have to go have multiple methods so I can easily set stepover and depth of cut.

Use the machining data library, which is designed to handle this. You will see that is is very easy to get used to it.

I would also remove the checks that apply feeds and speeds by ratio to avoid getting the values of a face mill for an end mill or similar. These are of no use at all in my opinion and also force one to specify more values than needed.

The else conditions to delete from the "%UGII_BASE_DIR%\MACH\resource\library\feeds_speeds\ascii\machining_data.tcl" file are:

#  Near ratios on both sides of input tool
#  have a match on the high end, use it
#  have a match on the low end, use it

Make sure to use the new machining data and enable set machining data automatically in the customer defaults.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Stefan, what will deleting those do? Also, I believe I will still run into the same issue as before. I can only setup machining data for a specific tool diameter 1 time per method, meaning I can't have machining data with matching; Tool Material, Cut Method and Part Material and then have the tool diameter be the same but have different stepovers and DOC's.

This would lead me back to having to control the stepover and DOC with different methods. Could you elaborate more on what your solution would enable me to do.

Thank you!

Deleting these conditions will ensure that you get better results and not apply wrong values for combinations that are not handled correctly. Better get no result than a wrong one.

We had the issue of getting values for a 20mm face mill for a 12mm end mill just because the diameter to length ratio was the same, as an example.

How many cut methods do you really need?

We only have the following:

1. roughing
  2. roughing with entire flute length
  3. semi finishing
  4. finishing
  5. semi finishing floors and walls
  6. finishing floors and walls

With the fixed stock sizes we use there are 34 method groups in total, which are contained in our template parts.

No user sets stock or machining parameters manually, they just select the appropriate method group.

Legend
Legend

The fact that not all of the stock settings can be inhereted from a method is very frusterating...

If there is

Part stock

Wall Stock

Floor Stock

They should all be able to be inhereted from the parents method. Is there a reason this was never implemented or was it an afterthought?

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Learn online

Solution Information