cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerospace Part Machining Strategy... Suggestions for minimizing number of operations to manage

Legend
Legend

I do a lot of 5 axis thin wall "tube" type parts with flanges and bosses sticking off of them. Best strategy I've found is to rough down a certain depth, change tools to finish tool, run a finish pass and then repeat the next level. Recent part I just finished today has a bore 5.800 diameter 3.5" deep. This took a lot of paths to accomplish the results I'm looking for.

Without using a journal to manage this... is there a way to do this in NX?

Rough level down - Facemill 2.0

Finish level wall - 3/4 Endmill

Repeat

NX11.0.1
7 REPLIES

Re: Aerospace Part Machining Strategy... Suggestions for minimizing number of operations to manage

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
If the shape is regular, you might be able to use transform, instance.
I'm programming simular parts and most of the time it's like you say, creating ops per level
Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX11.0, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.1

Re: Aerospace Part Machining Strategy... Suggestions for minimizing number of operations to manage

Can you post a picture to help me visualize this? 

Are you cutting inside, outside, both?

Are the flanges on the inside, oustide, both?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

Imagine cutting a tube...which is the basic design of the parts I'm cutting but they have other tubes, fins, bosses,flanges,etc , sticking up off of them.

5" OD

4.800 ID

5" Tall

So the stragetgy i've found that works the best is to do the following

Finish the whole outside of the part and any boss, flange, etc.

Then we work on the inside.

Rough down .125-.375 deep +.010 on the wall (usually I use a shell mill style cutter with .075-.100 deep passes because the tool pressure is very low)

Finish .125-.375 deep

Repeat until you reach the bottom of the tube

What I ended up doing was just instancing the depths down....

I thought about this and cavity mill would work perfect if NX had the ability to allow you to use a different tool for a finish pass. So cavity mill would use Tool 1 to rough to first cut level, tool change to Tool 2, finish first cut level wall pass then repeat.

NX11.0.1

Legend
Legend

Hi,
Two tools for one operation?
This would be contrary to the tree structure of ONT, where operation nodes are under tool node.

Now I understand the situation. Today it requires multiple operations. If you do similar parts, you might be able to make a geomety template with a bunch of operations that alternate tools. You would need to make the cut levels non-associative, for example at fixed Z depths. 

As far as technique, for thin wall parts the objective is to make sure there is support sothe wall doesn't bend or vibrate. I have seen users work there way down, cutting one pass at each level with a stock of the stepver distance larger than the level above, so the cross section looks like a stepped pyramid, with the top level finished. Then drop down and repeat.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

MarkRief wrote:

...cutting one pass at each level with a stock of the stepver distance larger than the level above, so the cross section looks like a stepped pyramid...

This is even a standard option in PLANAR MILL under Cut levels > Tool neck clearance > Incremental side stock.

Patrick Delisse
KMWE - DutchAero
NX11.0, CAMPOST V22, Vericut 8.1

paehv wrote:

MarkRief wrote:

...cutting one pass at each level with a stock of the stepver distance larger than the level above, so the cross section looks like a stepped pyramid...

This is even a standard option in PLANAR MILL under Cut levels > Tool neck clearance > Incremental side stock.

That was not the original intent of the parameter, but I can see how that would work - very clever!

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information