Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Alpha Numeric Tool Numbers

Hi All,

Siemens 840d controls allow tool changes by alpha-numeric tool numbers (T='A1-A'). Unfortunately the dialog box in NX for tool number only allows numeric tool values. This makes using the alpha-numeric tool numbers to be a bit of a chore (it can be done several ways but they are not as straight forward as Tool Number). Do any of you know how to change the NX dialog box for tool numbers to allow alpha-numeric's? Is this possible? It seems like it should be since Siemens should talk to Siemens but so far it doesn't.

Thanks

7 REPLIES

Re: Alpha Numeric Tool Numbers

You can use the variable "mom_tool_catalog_number" which allows you to use whatever the name of the tool is. If you had an NX open licence I'm sure you could change the GUI for tool parameters.

Jake Hardwick
CNC Programmer
Senior Aerospace AMT
Production NX8.5.3.3 Beta testing NX10.0.1.4
Solution
Solution
Accepted by MarkRief (VIP)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

There are many ways to do this.

1) As mentioned, description

2) Tool name (instead of calling tool object "EM_1.000" call it "A-1A")

(Then use description field for "1.0 End Mill")

3) Possibly use pockets (name of pocket = "A-1A")

4) Attributes (Although they are not as "immediately visible" as other options)

Do you post one NX part file for multiple machines, some with Siemens controls & some not?

Then in post just set the T word as a "String" variable.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Solution
Solution

We have used the attributes for several years. That has kept us fron having to force the programmers into a specific tool name. The tool name or pocket would be fine but many times we have multiple stages in a single file and they may change machines and each machine has an "A1-A" that is actually a different tool, yeah I realize it's strange but that kind of describes us. We use the tool description for easy identification of the tools when picking them from a list so they already have a format. The most obvious place to place it is in the tool number. I will have to experiment with NX Open to see if we can figure out how to change the dialog, of course that may break other things but it is worth a shot. If not then we will have to live with using tool attributes.

Solution
Solution

Also if you have a static tool library for your machine you could run a switch command and manage the tool name in your TCL code.

switch $mom_tool_number {
    1 {set my_tool_number "2_00_FACE_MILL"}
    2 {set my_tool_number "1_00_END_MILL"}
  }

Jake Hardwick
CNC Programmer
Senior Aerospace AMT
Production NX8.5.3.3 Beta testing NX10.0.1.4
Solution
Solution

In the tool's pocket in NX, change the Pocket ID from Pocket Number to Specify:

Then you can enter whatever Pocket ID you like, and use the pocket ID in the post.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Ken's and Randy's responses reminded me - if these are library tools, you could add a user parameter to the tool - "Tool String" for example - with default values in the library.

This would require some customization, but it's an option.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens
Solution
Solution

Mark,

I had completly missed the Pocket -ID over the years. That looks like a good option for what we are trying to do.

Thanks

Learn online

Solution Information