Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Another Gun Drill control question

I set up an operation similar to the way John did in the attached thread and it works on one hole but when trying to do multiple holes it only retracts on the first and last hole, staying in the hole by my negative minimum clearance. Will this work for multiple holes? Thanks

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-CAM/Gun-Drill-Control/m-p/261461/highlight/true#M1...

Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
NX 8.5.2.3 MP3 Teamcenter 8
Dell M6700 i7-3740QM 8GB RAM,
NVIDIA Quadro k3000M
8 REPLIES

Re: Another Gun Drill control question

[ Edited ]

I ran into that too so I just created a new operation for each hole.

NX11.0.1

Here is a copy of my Start Event for each gundrill operation.

NX11.0.1

Well at this time I am using generic motion on the first hole. When I am happy with that one I translate/copy associative to the rest of the holes. This sounds easy but when getting into a lot of holes it is tedious also. Would be nice to be in a drill op and select holes and have it do the work. I am still looking for a better solution. Thanks

Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
NVIDIA Quadro k3000M

We use the "one op per hole" method for gun drilling here.

I hate to suggest this, but...

Maybe submit an IR/ER on this for the new holemaking module?

Break up the start/end events into groupings just like the "engage/retract" NCM...

- Initial start events

- Start events for each hole/cycle

- End events for each hole/cycle

- Final end events.

Another option (that you can do now) is it to embed what you need into a macro and do a "Drill/Text" cycle and add handlers in the proc MOM_drill_text_move to call the macro.  Use a UDE to get extra stuff needed (e.g. Z depth to feed to before turning on spindle, etc.)

Macro could handle doing all the work.

You can then program multiple holes in one operation

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I have wanted to start developing a copy cycle type of thing (but haven't) For instance - set a ude up that tells the post - don't do anything that comes through from here to here - just store the motion. Then issue a cycle text that references that motion and copies it. If NX could have a generic motion op type sequence dialog with a cycle capability - it would help with gundrilling, or deburr/chamfering of holes, back counterbore etc.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Yes I think that can be done , I was just hoping there was a oob way to do it. I don't work on posts too much anymore so I would now have a hard time setting that up. I think that no cycle if set up correctly could possibly do it. But the retracts out , like in a normal cycle, would be the issue. Probably drill text op and have the post use what is in the dialogue and a ude to add whatever you needed that wasn't there.
Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
NVIDIA Quadro k3000M

Ken, I didn't see your response until just now. The drill text is the way I was thinking as I stated in my other post. I am thinking a new cycle ER would be nice really. It is common to do a short drill hole and follow with a long drill here and I doubt that it is just us.

Have you done much with the Hole making? I tried and found the hole groups are not very intuitive and seems like you need to be using fbm to really use these operations.
Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
NVIDIA Quadro k3000M

we're getting a bit off topic, but...

I haven't had a chance to play with holemaking yet.

We're still on NX7.5 and I'm too $&^#%$@@!! busy making posts for new machines to get to any NX9 stuff.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information