Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approach marker for canned cycles

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I was wondering how I could add an approach marker to my canned cycles. The end goal is to have better coolant control for my operations. I'd like to start the coolant when the tool is approaching the piece. Currently it defaults to the tool change position which gets coolant everywhere because at the tool change location the tool Z is maximum. This all has to be done on the post side.

At the moment if I specifiy to start the coolant after the approach move for drilling, it will not even turn the proc the M08 command so the coolant does not turn back on. If I delete the approach marker the coolant starts right after the tool change. 

Thanks for the help. 

16 REPLIES

Re: Approach marker for canned cycles

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

You need to make the edit in your post processor...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Right... I'm asking how to I accomplish that? I imagine I have to add the event to each of my canned cycles. I just either don't know the command ( I've searched for it ) or I have to write it in, in which case I don't know how to do that.

Phenom
Phenom

I am not aware of a way to create a marker (new kind - say "Before Next Cycle Move".) Markers actually delay the ude event (proc call) until some future time. You could as an alternative (and this is what I do) put a drop down called something like "Timing" in the ude and have some options. Mine (with coolant) are generally "Immediate", "Before Next Move" and "After Next Move". In the coolant handler proc when output is delayed (in between the ude event and when it puts lines out) just store the data and call the same handler when the time is right with "IMMEDIATE" setting.

So:

proc MOM_coolant {} {

catch {unset ::future_coolant_issue}
switch -exact $::mom_coolant_timing {
  "IMMEDIATE" {MOM_do_template coolant}
  default {set ::future_coolant_issue $::mom_coolant_timing}
}

}

# in MOM_before_motion:

if {[info exists ::future_coolant_issue] && $::future_coolant_issue == "BEFORE NEXT MOVE"} {set ::mom_coolant_timing "IMMEDIATE" ; MOM_coolant}
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

To get the "marker" UDEs to effect the output, you have to have the appropriate avoidance geometry in  the operation.

e.g. if you don't have a "start point", the "Start_Marker" is meaningless.

Try setting the path colors to unique colors, and a start point & clearance plane, & see if things work out.

The approach by "Study" also works well.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hmm, I'm having trouble getting it to proc in using both of your methods... I can get it to proc everywhere but where I want it to...

Phenom
Phenom
My code example is not complete or ready to plug in with either postbuilder or post configurator. It is meant for demonstrating the concept I use. With postbuilder if your post has a "PB_CMD_before_motion" - I would issue the coolant there for before the next motion. As far as the coolant event - the OTB ude and code (if that is what you are using) has some implementation (event.) Use the review tool to see what it is. In start of program area - add a command and wrap the event handler code with uplevel #0 { code } changing the name to the coolant event name you see in the review tool. Change the template name in the MOM_do_template statement to whatever the coolant template is. The OTB code usually calls COOLANT_SET or maybe other routines and tries to handle status. Open the tcl and look (don't edit)for the name of the event handler - you may want to merge the code with the new code mentioned in the upleveled area.
NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

IIRC, for the "approach" marker to work, in legacy PTP drill cycles, you have to customize in the "engage/retract" to the dialog, then set values.  I don't think you can do this in Holemaking operations.

The way I delay coolant is similar to "study", but different ;-)

1) I have a custom command I add to "start of program" and "end of path".  This sets a variable ("moog_delay_coolant") to the value 1

2) I over-ride MOM_coolant_on.  This starts off with the code from the post, then checks if moog_delay_coolant = 1.  If so, it appends the coolant code to a list variable (moog_pending_coolants). If the delay variable does not exist, or is zero, it

- outputs any "pending" coolants

- then outputs the current coolant.

3)I have another custom command, "output pending coolants".  I put this at the end of the "rapid" event, and the start of all other motion events (linear/circular/drill cycle/etc.).  It clears the "delay" variable, then outputs any coolants in the "pending" list.

By doing the above, coolant is output after the first rapid move in an operation, or (if there is not rapid move) before any other kind of move.

The code is a lot more involved (I filter the coolant codes to the ones available for the machine, I eliminate duplicates, I have checks for custom procs to handle coolants that require "special" handling - e.g. more than 1 M code, etc.), but hopefully you get the idea.

As I use the tcl "source" command, I can source this into a post, add a few custom commands & place them, and I'm done.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I really appreciate the help but I think this is a little over my head. I haven't really learned to do a lot of the things your are describing. My coding knowledge isn't that great either. I didn't think it would be so involved to get the coolant to turn on at the clearance plane instead of right at the tool change for canned cycles. I guess I'll just have to keep the command embedded in the canned cycles like it is now because that's the only way I know how to get it to output where I need it. I loose the ability to control it on the CAM side of things but that'll have to do.

Like I said, I really appreciate the help. This is just above my level of knowledge till I can take a post building course I suppose.

OK, if you don't want to play with the post

1) ALWAYS add a (non-cutting moves -> ) Avoidance -> Start point to EVERY drill operation

2) Put a "Start_Marker" before your Coolant UDE in the start of path events.

This should force the coolant code to (about) where you want.

Learn online

Solution Information