cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Associative MCS

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, 

I was wondering there was a way to make my MCS associaitve? Being a job shop, many times I'm forced to use a piece of scrap material to make my parts. The method I use for setting up my blank material I I create a box around the part with the "bounding body" command and then I use synconous modeling to make it match my actual, physical blank material. 

The probably I run into and it was costed me broken tool and messed up parts, is that if I change the dimensions on my blank my MCS stays put and doesn't stay with my new corner location. ( I alway use the top left or bottom left corner of the part for my MCS. 

So, is there a way make the MCS associative so that if the change the blank box dimensions is MCS automatically follows the change so that I don't have to manually and potentially forget to update it. 

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES

Re: Associative MCS

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It should be associative, if you use the edges as the x and y axis for instance.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

You control the associativity of a coordinate system by how you define it. If you are in dynamic mode, it's usually not associative. To make it associative, use a method that requires selecting geometry, such as 2 axes or 3 points. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'll give a go. I almost always use dynamic mode as its just the fastest, easiest way to set it up. Thanks.

Learn online

Solution Information