Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Attributes and Indices

I am trying to make a custom command to output a line of code to verify offsets by sending the machine to a known part locating point without the operator needing to MDI to that point. But I am running into trouble with how the Indices work with Program Attributes? I have attached a couple of pictures to show how I am setting the Attribute up and what is being output in the Review file.

My Attribute is called VERIFY_OFFSETS, with index 0 being the x value, and index 1 being the y value. I thought that this should work similar to mom_pos, but instead it seems to be ignoring the indices and just outputting two values of VERIFY_OFFSETS and only keeping the value defined last as its value. Am I just misunderstanding how the indices should work or am I doing something wrong? Any help or insight would be appreciated! Thanks.

7 REPLIES

Re: Attributes and Indices

I don't think that MOM already supports indices.

I would go for attribute names like VERIFY_OFFSETS_X and VERIFY_OFFSETS_Y, which are surely supported.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I would tend to agree with Stephan, but in case you absoutely HAVE to use indices...

You could write some API code to get the data & set the tcl variables as an array.

Not the easiest solution to the problem, but it should be able to work.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

[ Edited ]

If writing DLLs for MOM, make sure to not unload immediately, instead unload on termination.

Immediate unload will slow down MOM immensely.

I would also report the missing support of MOM for indexed attributes to GTAC.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Thanks guys, I was thinking of the VERIFY_OFFSETS_X & Y as a workaround but wanted to make sure that I wasn't just doing something wrong before going that route. The way I was going to set it up was to define the work offset (i.e G54, G55,etc.) by having VERIFY_OFFSETS_1, VERIFY_OFFSETS_2, etc. output the work offset the same as the MCS Fixture Offset number (53 + #), so it kind of throws a wrench into that. But I'm sure I can come up with a workaround in the command to get what I want. It just would have been a cleaner way of setting it up if the indices actually output as an array. The way it is I am having trouble seeing why the indices are even a choice. Thanks for the input!

I did something similar to this, but I just created a UDE with the point option.   That way you can snap a point (or enter position manually) and it posts out with the MCS offset and proper coordinates when put into a machine control operation type.  This also comes out as a typical X, Y, Z array when posting.  Or am I thinking you're doing something way different than what I'm talking about?

Jake Hardwick
CNC Programmer
Senior Aerospace AMT
Production NX8.5.3.3 Beta testing NX10.0.1.4
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author diamond3210
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

That's the way I was going to go at first, but I ran into issues with how our posts are setup, any motion output whether as UDE or in the program, outputs G43 Z H after the first line of code, and all I am looking for is to output a simple G0 G90 G54 X Y with a stop to load an indicator. And rather than go into all posts and change the way it posts I figured the Attribute will get the same result without messing to much with the posts, because I'll just add the command to our source file and be done with it.

Nevermind that last post, I have tried a couple of different ways of doing this and my heads been going in circles! I tried just making an operation, which is where I ran into the height output problem. I tried the UDE way and ran into the problem of how to define the location, I didn't realize that you could pick a point and use X and Y user defined expressions to use that point. So thanks Jake for kickstarting me back on that path, I got exactly what I was after with your suggestion!!!

Learn online

Solution Information