cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic File Backup?

Is there a way to have NX automatically backup the file(s) you are working on at regular intervals?

I was in the middle of a hot project and hadn't saved after creating quite a bit of toolpaths and geometry to have my system lock up and lose everything.

TIA

Jon

3 REPLIES

Re: Automatic File Backup?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Every few years this comes up, and ...

Way back when (UGII v 9 or ???) had this.  Everyone who turned it on, turned it off within a few days.  The issue is that the "auto" save ALWAYS happened at the most inconvenient times.  And if your save time is longer than a nanosecond, it really breaks up your train of thought.  Imagine spending 10 minutes figuring out how to fix a sequential mill or variable axis (or other complex) operation, you hit the edit dialog for the op and BOOM... wait 2 or 3 or 5 minutes for a save to finish.  When the save finally finishes, do you remember what you wanted to do?

Having said that, with todays multiple CPUs, could a separate thread be used for the save? 

Somehow save a "snapshot" of the current part state?  There will be BIG issues if this happnes (for example) in the midst for generating a large toolpath, but...

Another option is a "reminder" (AKA "nagware") ("you have not saved you part in the last hour, do you want to save now?") - still interupts your train of thought, but you don't have to wait for a save to finish. 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

As Ken said you can turn on a reminder to save

look in Customer Defaults-->Gateway-->General--> near the bottom "Interval for Save Change Reminder" you set how many minutes between reminders.

Capture.GIF 

Frank Bartucci
NX CAM COE

FDB wrote:

As Ken said you can turn on a reminder to save

look in Customer Defaults-->Gateway-->General--> near the bottom "Interval for Save Change Reminder" you set how many minutes between reminders.

Capture.GIF 

That appears to be the closest I can get to what I am looking for.

Thanks to you both!

Learn online

Solution Information